Sumiko Primare A20
Description: Dual-Mono Integrated Amplifier - 70w x2 Channels in 8 Ohms - Full Function System Remote

Submitted by Micthetic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
There are some pieces of kit that , when auditioned, don't need to be analized, disected or judged, they are just right.The Primare A20 falls firmly into that category.Effortless musicality allied to tremendous resolving power and bass slam ( where appropriate) make this all you need in an amplifier.
When you first install this amp you will be amazed at the detail retrieval, that 'strings you could pluck' sound. You can build a wonderful system with this amplifier at its heart.
Be warned, listening to this amp is like going from dial up to broadband...there is no going back!
For a detailed review read the last review on here, its pretty much spot on.Remember, if you're into vinyl you'll need to allow for a nice phono pre amp.

Submitted by josephjohn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful amplifier which does almost everything well with excellent build, sound and value.
It produce a smooth, natural,musical and enjoyable sound. I also advice you don`t put that device on cd players or under, just place it very well and alone. The amp is quite heavy and it has 3 feet, not four like others.
It is probably built better than Krell.
When i bought that amplifier before i tried the Cambridge audio azur 540a, Audio Analogue Puccini, Densen Beat, Rotel, Naim Nait 5, Sugden but the Primare A20 was really better.
I use it with a Nad c521bee, sony stsdb900 , Monitor Audio B2, cyrus biwire speaker cable, Van Den Hull The name and Kimber as interconnects.

Strengths:
Smooth, natural,musical and pleasant sound.
Nice top end.
Good timing.
strong dynamics.
That amplifier plays very well bass notes.
It give you music music with hapiness
Sound more strong than 70watts sugests.

Weaknesses:
None

Submitted by tkyong1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is the follow-up and also a clarification on certain misleading information in my previous posting.

1. The Purchase Price shown in my last post is after the Trade-in (old Marantz Amp) price.

2. The Actual Purchase Price I paid for the I20 is USD1,090 (using exchange rate 1 : 4 Malaysia Currency). I usually round-up the currency for convenience purposes.

Sorry if anyone is mislead and any inconvenience caused by me.

Please read my latest reviews on I20 in the newly created Folder named "I20".

Thanks

Purchased At:   CMY Malaysia

Submitted by Bartas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just bought the Primare A20 used, and noticed an improvement on overall musical presentation of my system.Strong secure bass, and detailed highs and mids, without fatigue.

Im not sure i have the MKII version, but if someone can tell the exterior diferences between the 2, please email me at pedrobart@hotmail.com .Thanks

Submitted by tkyong1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just bought the Primare I20 (trade-in my budget Marantz PM4200) after listening to stuff like Exposure 2010, NAD 372, Holfi 8s, Marantz PM17 SA.

I prefer the I20 which is a more refine then NAD 372 n Exposure 2010. At the same time more muscular than the Marantz PM 17SA.

When demo, the dealer use the I20 to drive a pair of ProAc REsponse 2.5 - amazing sound. the PM17SA can't really drive the ProAc, struggeing sound constrain.

The Primare is a step further than those.

Still running-in the I20, eventhought my other stuffs are still budget gear, i am going to build a good sistem around the amp from time to time. The next to chop will be the speaker.

Excellent Amp, go buy it guys.

My set-up : Marantz CD4000 + Primare I20 + Mordaunt-short 902 + Monitor Interconnect + QED cooper cable.

Purchased At:   CMY Sound