ROTEL RA-01 Integrated Amplifiers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $349.00

40 watts x 2 into 8 ohms 6 inputs, including MM phono and one tape loop Two sets of speaker outputs Headphone jack Defeatable tone control Balance control Pre-outs 12 volt trigger output Detachable IEC power cord No remote control

Submitted by Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2017

Bottom Line:
I tested the RA-01 against an older Cyrus One and Musical Fidelity B1 I happened to have around, using a MacBook Pro feeding a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus as source and B&W DM2 Series II Speakers. I was expecting the modern RA-01 to win easily but it was the older amps that won out. It was obviously more powerful than the Cyrus, but so much less musical; almost as if compression was being used. The Cyrus sounded much cleaner, more open and natural, the MF B1 warmer, softer and sweeter. Perhaps results would be different with more modern speakers, but the DM2 SIIs are very revealing in my experience. The RA-01 is well built, powerful sounding, but a bit charmless and mechanical.

Submitted by John Lawrence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought the RA-01 with the RCD-02. I added some Quad 11 speakers to the system and Chord cables. I have to say the system for what is really a budget one, is mighty good. I suspect that if there is a weak link now it is the CD player. The problem is that now I want to try and upgrade and I don't know where you start, without spending silly money. I have been tols to start upgrading the electronics and then the speakers. I listen to classical music mainly and prefer monitor speakers. There are loads of highly-rated speakers between $ 750 and $1500. As for amps Creek, Arcam a and Musical Fidelity spring to mind or perhaps Naim, which is a touch pricier.. It is all about the law of diminishing returns

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Charles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
This review is for an RA-02. Basically its the same as the RA-01, but with a remote.

I bought mine used from a local stereo store. It looked brand new to me and the sales person said someone traded it in. He asked if I wanted to hear it, so I said sure.

Holy cow it sounded amazing! He played it through a pair of Sonus Faber speakers that I didn't think would be able to be driven by such a small amplifier. At home I was using a Harmon Kardon DPR 2005 receiver with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s with an older NAD 502 CD player. I couldn't believe the difference between the two amps. The salesperson said that even though the RA-02 was rated at 40 wpc it is generally under-rated and can drive current easily through large speakers. My HK is supposed to be 120 watts per channel but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as this little Rotel amp with 40 watts! I no longer trust in numbers on sales brochures and will listen with my ears instead from now on!!

The other thing is that I picked this Rotel up for $300 which people might think is high, but I paid over $1200 for my HK when it was new and their sound quality isn't even close!!!!! The store said if I didn't like the Rotel I could take it back, so I didn't have much to lose, but I definitely won't be returning it. I've learned my lesson and am enjoying music the way I should have been all these years!

Submitted by Nathan03 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
Please forgive my English, I am French...
I have been using this Rotel for nearly 6 years now and I am still keen on it. An amazing amplifyer which deliver a very powerful, clean, clear sound. I have been listing to it connected to Wharfedale Emerald 93 and I have never regretted it. The only weakness is very dry bass but this is what I like. I also tried a more recent amp, the RA-05 and I prefered my RA 01. Definitively a must-buy and a GREAT amp !

Submitted by rolle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used this Rotel RA-01 integrated amplifier for years now and it never failed to please me. It deliver an open powerful sound even through my B&W 705's, despite these speakers maybee deserve more power. The RA-01 is best for normal listening and sounds good even at low level volym but tends to sound less good at party level. I have also replaced the powercord to Supra LoRad 2.5 and earthed that (Swedish ground). This replacement gave me more insight of the bassline in the music and the sound from the speakers also became more lifelike and 'relaxed'. I'm listening cd, radio, cassette and sometime vinyl. Perhaps vinyl don't sound as good as the other. A good turntable can judge that, which I haven't. This big little ONE gives me all of the enjoyment of music.