ROTEL RA-01 Integrated Amplifiers

40 watts x 2 into 8 ohms 6 inputs, including MM phono and one tape loop Two sets of speaker outputs Headphone jack Defeatable tone control Balance control Pre-outs 12 volt trigger output Detachable IEC power cord No remote control

Submitted by Charles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
This review is for an RA-02. Basically its the same as the RA-01, but with a remote.

I bought mine used from a local stereo store. It looked brand new to me and the sales person said someone traded it in. He asked if I wanted to hear it, so I said sure.

Holy cow it sounded amazing! He played it through a pair of Sonus Faber speakers that I didn't think would be able to be driven by such a small amplifier. At home I was using a Harmon Kardon DPR 2005 receiver with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s with an older NAD 502 CD player. I couldn't believe the difference between the two amps. The salesperson said that even though the RA-02 was rated at 40 wpc it is generally under-rated and can drive current easily through large speakers. My HK is supposed to be 120 watts per channel but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as this little Rotel amp with 40 watts! I no longer trust in numbers on sales brochures and will listen with my ears instead from now on!!

The other thing is that I picked this Rotel up for $300 which people might think is high, but I paid over $1200 for my HK when it was new and their sound quality isn't even close!!!!! The store said if I didn't like the Rotel I could take it back, so I didn't have much to lose, but I definitely won't be returning it. I've learned my lesson and am enjoying music the way I should have been all these years!

Submitted by Nathan03 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
Please forgive my English, I am French...
I have been using this Rotel for nearly 6 years now and I am still keen on it. An amazing amplifyer which deliver a very powerful, clean, clear sound. I have been listing to it connected to Wharfedale Emerald 93 and I have never regretted it. The only weakness is very dry bass but this is what I like. I also tried a more recent amp, the RA-05 and I prefered my RA 01. Definitively a must-buy and a GREAT amp !

Submitted by rolle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have used this Rotel RA-01 integrated amplifier for years now and it never failed to please me. It deliver an open powerful sound even through my B&W 705's, despite these speakers maybee deserve more power. The RA-01 is best for normal listening and sounds good even at low level volym but tends to sound less good at party level. I have also replaced the powercord to Supra LoRad 2.5 and earthed that (Swedish ground). This replacement gave me more insight of the bassline in the music and the sound from the speakers also became more lifelike and 'relaxed'. I'm listening cd, radio, cassette and sometime vinyl. Perhaps vinyl don't sound as good as the other. A good turntable can judge that, which I haven't. This big little ONE gives me all of the enjoyment of music.

Submitted by Sylvester The Cat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
The RA 01 is a great little amplifier that allows very high quality sound to be had for a very modest price.

As with all Rotel products, it's solidly build and rather heavy, always a good sign, indicatiing a decent power supply.

The amplifier looks quite attractive, both in black or silver and it has tone controls that can be by passed if more purity in sound is required.

The amplifier sounds a lot more powerful than the 40 watts RMS it's rated at, with a sound that is clean, clear and uncoloured ( when tone controls are bypassed).

One word that can describe this amp. is "honest".

Compared to similarly priced products ( NAD, Cambridge Audio and others), the Rotel comes closer in giving the listener a taste of what High End is about.

Not that the RA 01 is a 'High End' product per se, but it's the closest you'll get to High End at this price level and without spending serious money.

I use it with a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52 that, at 4 ohm and 86 dB, are quite a demanding load, but not to the little Rotel! It will go to very decent SPL while remaining stable, unfussed and in control of the speakers.

Given good recordings, it will reward you with deep bass and very listenable treble, while the midrange is well projected, if anything a little forward, but never offending.

When listening to an amplifier like the RA 01 and enjoying music with it, makes one wonder if there is really sensible to pay prices 5 or 10 times more, for products that are only marginally better..

Enen though, this amplifier can be described as "an all rounder", I suspect, it will be very popular with listeners of Classical Music because of it's uncoloured presentation that suits most acoustic instruments, including piano.

Give it the best speakers you can afford and enjoy the music with it.

Brilliant.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by brektek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was after a particular sound that I cannot describe because I do not seem to have the discerning ear that an audiophile should possess. I have tried NAD and Cambridge Audio products, but for some reason I could not attain the clarity I was looking for. I understand that people go crazy for NAD and swear their products are the greatest. However, I have always been disappointed by the build quality and sound.
I bought the Rotel RA-01 for $245 and first mated it with a cambridge audio 300 cd player and paradigm atom speakers. The sound was nice but not what I was looking for. I like to use headphones (Sennheiser 555) and my setup was basically fine. Nothing to complain about. I ended up replacing my Cambride audio cd player with a REGA Planet 2000. WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a difference. The RA-01 and the Rega Cd player just mated like two lovers in the moonlight. They made beautiful music together. I also, purchased a set of JM labs FOCAL 706s speakers and the sound is awesome. Just plain awesome. I am listening to my CD collection all over again. Anyhow, I cannot see myself changing my lineup.
As far as cabeling I have come to the conclusion that all the overpriced speaker wires and connects are just snake oil. I purchase a used pair analysis plus interconnect for $30 and bought some low end Tara labs speaker wire and my system rocks.

Purchased At:   Audiogon