Plinius 9100 Integrated Amplifiers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $2295.00

120W/channel into 8 ohms, tape loop, preamp outputs.

Submitted by LongY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Bottom Line:
I was being quite skeptical at first. But at the end of the day it is an NZ iconic brand. Got to have one of these I thought. Any way I managed to score this second hand unit at a great price...

I was so impressed with the sound, built quality and the gorgeous look. It looks a lot better in real life than on photos.

Judging by the remote control alone was sufficient to say... this unit is a keeper.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by mkimsey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Finally...an integrated amp that gets most everything right. I bought a pair of Revel F-32 speakers last Spring and was driving them with an Arcam A-32 before the Plinius. I can honestly say I had not heard the Revel's true strength and character until the Plinius was in the system.

This is a very early review considering my time with the amp but it is powerful, clear, smooth and non-fatiguing.

I can say that by comparison, the Arcam (their best) was overly smooth and lacked any punch or sense of power and control in my system. The Plinius is a wonderful match and improvement.

Differences in recordings are easy to ascertain and the ability to track instrumental lines in dense arrangements is effortless.

I had tried a tuber amp 9Stingray) and a hybrid (Unico) but felt the former was a little fussy to use and the later a little soft. I'm just not a tube person...thus far.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by tubhitter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was skeptical about the sonic differences different int. amps would make in my setup, but I checked this amp out anyhow because of it's cool looks. It ended up replacing my beloved Classe CAP 100.
The Plinius has the speed and dynamics of class A electronics. Bass articulation is outstanding. I can actually hear the bass and bass drum parts for the first time on old jazz recordings. The midrange is as good as the Classe and the treble is slightly sweet. The overall sound is very transparent and nonfatiging.

Submitted by audiofan j a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an absolutely astonishing integrated amplifier. This is an amplifier with legend written all over it!

I've been in the hobby for 30 years and have owned much more expensive gear from McIntosh, Hafler, Threshold and most recently Aragon, and I have to say flat out that this integrated blows away anything I've ever owned! It also trounces all of the integrated amps I've auditioned, including the Musical Fidelity A3.2, A308, and the Krell 300i and 400i integrateds! Sure, some of the amps of the past that I've owned have bone crushing power and great sound, but none can match the involving presentation of this Plinius integrated. This amp sounds better than separates - in my opinion, with the right associated gear.

Earlier this year I made a decision to "down size" my audio system from the typical 200-400 wpc type of high current amplifiers that I've always believed I needed to enjoy real sounding music. During these many years, I've always stayed clear of integrated amplifiers because of course, they couldn't sound better than separates, right? I took a close look at the offerings from Bryston (B-60), Musical Fidelity (A3.2, A308) Krell (300i and 400i) as well as a few others.

Well, I have to tell you that this little 120 watt integrated is so good, and so real sounding that instead of preparing myself to getting used to the idea of owning a smaller system with expected obvious compromises, I ended up with a system that is extremely musical, real, accurate, dynamic and lively. There clearly is a feeling that together with my associated components, there is "more music" in the soundstage. I am hearing WAY MORE notes, sounds and textures of music that I never knew was even on the CD in the past! I'm also, for the first time ever, truly hearing the entire notes of music, from the leading edge transients to the decay of the note as well as the complete sustained notes on pianos, guitars, etc. WOW!!! I sat up in my listening chair when I was hearing the hammers instantly let off of the piano strings when the foot pedal was released - I've never heard this same kind of sound in any other gear other than when we had a Steinway upright piano in our home years ago. This amp, although it retails for $2295.00 - it sounds better than $5,000.00 worth of separate amp and preamp.

Now, after all this, let's talk about the fantastic look of this integrated. Pictures do not do it justice! It is built like a tank, but has a beautifully esthetic feel to it. Needless to say, this product exudes pride of ownership!

Finally, you may have heard that it is best to leave Plinius gear turned on all the time. I agree - it sounded great out of the box and continues to improve after leaving the unit on almost one month. The amp is a great choice also, for enthusiasts, audiophiles and music lovers that want very minimalist function. I listen only to CDS, so the amplifier is basically on with volume up, down and mute functions. There is plenty of flexibility, if you need it, but Plinius has done itself proud by putting the money into the overall quality of the sound, build and looks. The remote is THE BEST remote for us couch potato audiophiles. Each press of the volume on the remote is a very small graduation in volume - fantastic!

Every time I put on a CD, I don't hear or even notice the equipment, but rather, I'm transported to another place by the music! My 30 year search for a great system has ended and you can bet the Plinius 9100 will be in this system for many, many years.

If you're looking for a killer bargain amplifier and want to pair it up with a great 2 way speaker, this amp will not disappoint! Add to that a full 7 year parts and labor warranty. A truly superb piece of gear!!!

Associated components:

- Ah! Supertjoeb (upgraded) (tube) CD player with 24 bit / 192 Khz upsampler.

- Plinius 9100 integrated amplifier.

- Totem Hawk 2 way loudspeakers.

- All cables by Signal Cable: Analog 2 Interconnects (3ft) with Bullet Plug RCA's, Magic Power AC cord (4ft) (for the Plinius), and Double Run Biwire (8ft)speaker cables with Analysis Plus BSM spades at amp side and Analysis Plus BSM Bananas at speaker posts.

Purchased At:   Aris Audio

For Sale brand new Unlocked BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100-$240

[B][SIZE="3"]It is happening again (CORE SOLUTIONS LIMITED®) is out with a summer PROMO for amiable customer who are intersested in the latest mobile phones and laptops @ the cheapest price you can think of. The PROMO starts from the 27th of July and end on the 27th of November 2010. The Promo i ... Read More »

Pioneer TX-9100 tuner

Killing time waiting for my daughter on Sunday I stopped inot a thrift near by and found this little piece for under a Jackson. It was very dirty but I think it cleaned up pretty well. I need to replace one bulb behind the Signal meter and work on the cabinet a little more but overall I am happy ... Read More »

Vintage Kenwood ka-9100 HELP

Sorry for the oversized pics .Hi , I have a Kenwood ka 9100 amplifier .Iam having problems connecting it to my mixer .When I turn the power on the VU meters light up . But when I hook it up to mixer I get no sound . I ve tried making connections every which way , but still doesnt work .Either Im con ... Read More »

Vintage Kenwood KA 9100

Would you guys pull the trigger on one of these? Found one at a consignment shop today, $ 100.00. The tech had not tested, it was a consignment. ???. I probably should have left with it... jockoRead More »

MS 1400W: