Plinius 2100i Integrated Amplifiers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by luckiestmanalive a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from separates to this wee gem of an integrated (2nd hand). I wasn't able to demo it before I bought it so when it arrived I virtually crossed my fingers as I slotted it into the rest of my system (Rega Apollo CD player as main source and Audio Physic Spark loudspeakers) and sat down to listen.

The first thing I noticed was that there was more bass. I didn't know I'd been missing any bass but the 2100i definitely reached lower than my old Plinius 3100. But I was also worried because the music didn't seem to be as engaging as my old setup. So I left it on and played it every night for over a week before I noticed that either I had changed or the liveliness of the amp had improved (Plinius suggest that the amp will improve over several days).

I've had my Plinius 2100i now for nearly 6 months and my main components are exactly the same. The only changes I've made is to add more sources (tape cassette, turntable, tuner) and I've finally nailed the sweetspot for my Sparks. I have reached a level of satisfaction now that easily surpasses anything I've had before, in no small part from this lovely Plinius integrated. It is neutral and detailed and I can't fault it up or down the frequency specturm. It makes the music and musicians come alive so I love (even more than I did before) to bring new music home to listen to.

As I suspect I would have to pay an awful lot more to better it, I can see me keeping this wee integrated for a good few years. Upgradeitis has been curbed by the concern that any change now might just as easily be a loss rather than a gain...

Submitted by Clay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my first post--I called the dealer about the buggy remote--he swapped it out with a new unit and sent the other unit back to the distributor. All my previous comments still apply--this is one heck of an amp for under 2K!

Purchased At:   Access to Music

Submitted by Clay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got this unit at a sale at my local hi-fi shop. Originally listened to the Plinius 8100 against the Creek 5250? (unsure of exact model) While the Creek had a very sweet sounding midrange, it lacked punch in the lower end and seemed a bit too relaxed and constrained for my tastes. So I opted for the Plinius 2100i Mk2, which has a much more solid low end, better dynamic range, and overall sounded much more natural (to my ears, anyway). Plus it was $300 less than the 8100. It even makes my crappy 2-ways sound good! However, it also shows up poor source material too efficiently--after re-listening to most of my CD collection, I have a pile of discs that will be traded next time I go CD shopping.

Minor annoyance: the volume control on the remode won't work--Gonna take it back tomorrow and see if they can't fix it in the shop (or give me another unit).

The 2100i seems to mate well to the Rotel rcd-971, though I'm guessing cable selection to be very important.

What they say about the units warming up is true--my unit started to sound better after about 5 hours.

While I was demoing the 2100i, another guy was demoing the Plinius 8200 with the NEW Rega planet. What an awesome combination!

Equipment used:
Rotel RCD971 w/ sorbothane feet
Quest viper interconnects
MIT zap2 speaker cable (will upgrade when I buy speakers)
Precise Audio 2 way monitor (made by Onkyo a few years back)

Purchased At:   access to music

Submitted by David a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp 5 years, and I love it. I am not an audiophile, just someone who loves music, so I don't know what jargon applies to this amp. What I do know is that I spend many hours a week listening to music, everything from hard rock to jazz, and this amp enhances my enjoyment enormously.

Purchased At:   Jims Music Room, Tauranga

Submitted by suriya a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I very love this am. like another.i used with tannoy P10 DENON 735 speaker cable is indigo 2 inter MIT2. but i have a problem when i turn a volum about 10.30 - 12.00 am. it had a noise sound from tweeter have any one got problem like me please help. (the plinius deadler said it's ok. but not me i can't listen music with noise sound)thank you

Award-Winning Axiom: