NAD 314 Integrated Amplifiers

4.53/5 (58 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

35 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1996-1998)

Submitted by HI-Fidelity a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2017

Bottom Line:
What can I say? Excellent Transients across the board going from a quiet passage to crescendo in milliseconds! What I love about NAD as designers is despite the multitude of models they produce, They all center around current delivery.

Outcome of this is despite the differing power outputs is they do a great job with difficult speaker loads. Open, detailed, silky smooth, excellent control and command of the bass - are you getting the picture? Imaging excellent with the holographic 3D traits of more expensive amplifiers. In fact it's hard to believe it started life as a mid range amp to be honest, and you would certainly have to spend a lot more today (2017) to equal it in my opinion.

To give you an idea I stream music via the venerable Linn Majik DSI which is an integrated high end box. I choose by choice NOT to use the on board DAC or Chakra amp both excellent by the way, in favour of an external Denon DA300USB DAC and the 314. At the original rrp it was a stonking buy, at current 2nd hand prices it's an audiphile steal !!

If you love your music and demand high fidelity on a budget seek one out, you would be disappointed !

Submitted by Pablo Céspedes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
I live in the tropical rain forest of Costa Rica, I have a NAD 314 since 1997, everything from CD players to subwoofers have failed due to humidity over the years except my 314. So its a tough well built amp.
The look is not handsome, but the sound for its price is fantastic!
I listen from classical music to jazz and classic rock. I am not an audiophile but I can see that the best sound for this amp is Jazz or jazz rock, strong male voices or big philarmonics are not the best for this product even so it will perform decently. As I said for this price maybe this is the best you can buy if you want nice sound and reliability.

Submitted by kornerkoater a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I sadly had some unexpected expenses which caused me to sell a prized integrated ROTEL amp. Once the dust settle, I looked for an inexpensive replacement. I bought this unit on Ebay after seeing the reviews. After paying I re read the reviews and did have some concerns related to bass output. I read that this unit is good for floor standing but not bookshelf speakers. I guess the thought behind hat is that the floorstanding speakers are more sensitive and need less power output. I began to regret the purchase after reading this because I only have bookshelf speakers.
I have been listening to this now using all types of music and this unit, paired with my Dahlquist Q6 bookshelf speakers, (which I reviewed elsewhere on this site but under the newer version) is performing far and above my expectations Bass is not at all lacking. The entire presentation of all types of music, is complete, smooth, detailed, punchy, etc,..... Just as good if not better than the Rotel I sold. I paid $700.00 for the Rotel and only 147.00 for this NAD. I am so happy with this purchase, I wonder why I ever spent the big bucks. Yes, I did lose a lot of build quality but not on sound!
I have other bookshelf speakers to try but they do not have the bass response the Dalhquists do. The Q6 has respectable bass down the 45 hz despite being bookshelf speakers. I ecided to hook these speakers up because of bass and sensativity concerns. At some point, I will try other speakers as well.

Submitted by Adam dude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is actually a review on a NAD 3140 from the 80's. I could not write a review on the right page as this product has not been reviewed yet. The NAD 3140 is a great amp delivering a wopping 80 watts a channel. It features dual transisters which doubles it's power from 40 watts a channel to 80. It also features a L.E.D display showing how many watts you are using on each channel. It delivers awsome, clean and natural sound through any speakers. I have mine hooked up to a pair of B&W ZMF 2003 speakers and a 12 inch kenwood sub and it sounds awsome! I would fully recomend this awsome amplifier and give it a 9.5 out 10 for sound quality and value.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Unknown

Submitted by Paavo Haapalainen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great unit but it lacks a bit of a craftman quality: the relay for the speaker outlets had a couple of cold welds.

It was found out after 2 years of listening, the sound started to crack, but after the relay was welded again, all the problems were resolved.

Purchased At:   1996