Music Hall Mambo
Description: Music Hall Mambo Class A Integrated Amplifier. <li>24-bit/96kHz Upsampling (defeatable if not needed) <li>50 watt/channel class A amplifier <li>Two digital inputs: 1 optical/1 coaxial <li>5 analog inputs <li>Full remote-control operation

Submitted by libertasdon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a 50 wpc class A integrated amplifier, silver, with remote.

Purchased At:   Digital Ear

Submitted by Marcos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
After using this amplifier for 2 months, I really don't know why it seems to get overlooked by so many buyers. It has a great balance of smoothness and clarity and it plays more powerfully than its 50 wpc would indicate. It's easy to find harsh, detailed amps out there. It's also easy to find soft ones that make vocals sound veiled and recessed. The Audio Refinement is a perfect example. The Mambo has a smooth midrange, but with detailed highs and solid bass. I experience much clearer midrange tones than with my Arcam A75+. Just today, I was in a local hi-end dealer and I A/B'd the Mambo directly against the Krell, Bel Canto and Creek and, while each amp had qualities that I liked, the Mambo held its own with the best of them. Look - sound is subjective and a matter of taste to be sure. All i'm saying is, don't overlook the Mambo for some other amps that seem to get more press. If you're shopping for an integrated, check it out. Oh yeah, it's got an upsampling DAC. I don't think it's going to improve the sound of any modern hi-end player, but the amp is worth the money just as an amp.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Patriot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a great amp. It compares very favorably to the Joilda 302B with upgraded tubes I had previously. Decided to get something that was more convenient and easy to turn off/on or leave on for extended periods. After an extended search of reviews and some listening I settled upon the Mambo. Walter (who is outstanding to deal with - there is no one better in Audio retail) had a great deal on a demp so I went with it.

It has Class A power so it sounds very warm yet detailed on the Celius speakers I have. It also has a decent upsampling dac built in. I now run my iTunes via an Airport Express wireless into the dac. Apple has a mini to optical that works great. The files are AAC so there is some information lost but for casual listening it is wonderful. If I want to really sit and do critical listening (which I never have time for) I can use the CD player and the music is heaven. The wife acceptance factor was huge -- its a neat looking unit.

It for me makes more sense for my lifestyle to have a ss integrated/system that gives me huge amount of flexibility. Roy Hall did an outstanding job designing this unit. I have had seperates (tube - AI, CJ and AR and ss) and some decent and not so decent integrateds, with out a doubt this unit blows them away except for the 302B. I loved the Jolida and there is no doubt that for the money it is the best bargain in the world...however, this is close.

If your in the market for a new integrated I would encourage you to check it out. With the Celius I get a decent soundstage with a warm open sound and the right amount of detail. Maybe my ears are getting old but with the iPod and a digital feed to the built in dac it works for me.

My thanks to Roy and everyone at Music Hall for going out on the edge to create a product like the Mambo.

Purchased At:   Underwoodwally