Marantz PM-68 Integrated Amplifiers

100 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by juris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This was the first mentionable amplifier I ever had. When I started shopping I just wanted to get a 100W aplifier from "decent company" without any idea that they may sound very different - thus, I still think that I was quite lucky that I wandered into a specialist audio shop and was convinced that this is not the case. However, the salesperson actually wanted to recommend some similarly priced Yamaha, still Marantz seemed to have much more musical sound and I choosed it.

I have used the amplifier with two different spekers - JMLab Tantals 520 (floorstanders) and JMLab Chorus 706 (bookshelf). The sound with Tantals was quite enjoyable and I felt happy with it for about two years. However the results with Chorus was quite dissapointing - there was a total lack of bass and the sound in general was not particularly good. For a while I assumed that this is the speaker problem, until I changed Marantz to Arcam Alpha 10, which resurrected these speakers for a new life. However the Alpha 10 costs 3 times as much, and the improvement on Tantals probably was not that dramatic. Whilst currently it is not in use, I am still keeping Marantz to set it up in another room sometime in future.

Purchased At:   latvia

Submitted by KF KF a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great amp for medium size living rooms. As said it's little reserved at low freqences. Seems like that makes all the sound stages together more involved to make a more punchy and crispy sound. If you wan't more bass, make it up with a sub. I guess this amplifier likes floor standing speakers with 2x7-8" bass/mid-range as B&W DM603 S2.

Submitted by Dainius a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
df

Submitted by Tom Koehler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use this amp with Nuberts famous NuBox 360 2-way Bassreflex Speakers. At first testing I thought yeah, good dynamic and clear sound, but somehow too exact.

Then I left it on for over 24 hours, and I was amazed.
The amp seemed more sensitive, and suddenly performed so musical, warm and clear that one could feel the instruments in the air. All this even at very low volume levels.

I recommend this amp for friends of guitar-oriented music,
like Blues or Heavy Metal. As it has lots of power reserves, You have no trouble to handle the dynamics of this kind of music.

Although the manual recommends 8-Ohm Speakers, mine are 4-Ohm models, so the amp can deliver up to 2x185 Watts into them. I didnt try this out, for at about half volume it nearly blew the windows of the listening room. Nevertheless, the sound stays harmonic and clear. Ideal for heavy-metal fans who like to punch the drum, bass and guitar lines
around their ears. This amp will definetely do it.

I prefer calmer music like Dire Straits, and indeed, when the amp is left on for at least 10 hours, the whole room is
filled with music so clear and bright as if I stand direct
in front of the stage. I even dont have to turn the volume knob to 1/4 . Deactivating "source direct" will take away some of the crispiness, better leave it on.

So dont consider power consumption and leave it on as long
as you like it - it will be worth it.

Purchased At:   Nubert Gmuend

Submitted by chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an allround amplifier at a nice price that I could use at my home parties and when I just want to chill after a hard day. So my choice falled on Marantz PM68. And I still think that was a good choice.

It's very difficult to describe exact how it sounds. I will say warm. I tried it with different speaker systems and my conclusion from that it don't fit so good with all types of systems. So before you buy, if it's possible, listen to it with youre own speakers and see if you like the sound.

Atlantic Technology :