Marantz PM-57 Integrated Amplifiers

4.64/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Integrated Amplifier, 50 W per channel at 8 ohms, 70 W at 4 ohms

Submitted by Riaan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
This was my first amp, I remember it as if yesterday. Had very enjoyable times with it. It does sound a bit thin with entry level bookshelfs, but the result is such musicality at such a budget price. I loved it, very displeased with myself that I sold it many years ago, it would've been great in a small bedroom system.

Purchased At:   Speed O Sound

Submitted by d-yo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm using this amplifier for 2 years,and I'm very satisfied with that what sound he produces.My speakers are B & W 302 DM,equiped with solid bass woofer,and cd player is marantz cd4000.I think that 302 dm from bowers are superb speakers,and with pm 57 are superb combination.I try other's manufacters amplifiers like rotel and denon but the sound was heavy and really tough.for that money it's the best amplifier money can buy

Purchased At:   Audio Centar

Submitted by Peter Dutton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been using the PM-57 for a few years now, and have decided it was one of the best £100 I have ever spent. It give a nice warm, but clean sound, with a crisp treble.
I am using the unit through some Wharfdale Modus2 speakers, which I bi-wired to the amp, and found that helped bring out the bass from the sound, and give a much more neutral sound.
The only fault I can realy find with the amp is the remote, which has loads of buttons like play etc, for CD players and such like. When my Technics CD player gave up, I got a Marantz CD-player (CD4000) expecting to be able to use the amp remote for both unites, but with no luck. The amp has a remote output on the back, which I assume is for connecting to other Marantz products, but no such input on the cd player.
If you can get hold of a cheap, good condition example, it would make a brilliant first time amp.
I am thinking of selling the unit now, but only so I can get an amp with a dolby digital decoder. But because of my experience with this amp, I will be sticking with Marantz.

Purchased At:   Super-Fi (Lincoln, UK)

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace an NAD 3020, which I'd had (and loved) for about 15 years; my main reason for replacing the NAD was that I needed an amp which could accommodate two sets of speakers. But I'm liking the Marantz at least as much, and feel glad that I switched. Sounds every bit as clean and neutral as the NAD, but has greater flexibility. I'm using it with a Nakamichi MB-10 CD player, B&W DM601's, and Audioquest cables and interconnects, and it's a really solid little system.

Submitted by Sacha a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
It is a good amplifier for the money.
Specielly good for those who like to play loud music, and have rather big head speakers. If you like power this is the one 2*95W in each channel is pretty good, and for this price about $400 it is a good amplifier.

Purchased At:   Hifi- klubben