Marantz PM-17 Integrated Amplifiers

4.7/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

60 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by patik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
Great Amp.

Submitted by plw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bough the PM-17 used to replace my Rotel RA60bx 60W integrated. I didn't think there would be too much difference because the Rotel is a very good amplifier, but wanted the remote control capability the Rotel lacked. Boy was I surprised... the PM-17 was a step above the Rotel without a doubt (to be fair, the Marantz cost more that twice as much as the Rotel when new). Has a more effortless, balanced sound, even at moderate volume levels, and has noticeably more power, control, and detail without being harsh. Reminds me of my old Orion 280gx car stereo amp in how the bass is so tight and controlled. I really liked my Rotel, but the PM-17 has now taken its place. If you find one for $300 or less... definitely a good idea to consider!

Submitted by willy Brunet a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
very good quality amplifier, i owned for almost 1 years, excellent quality sound with good boxes like Linn Nexus or Tannoy Revoluition R1, this amplifier has only 60 watts but of the best quality, a real Marantz.

Purchased At:   Audio Design

Submitted by Sticks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was lucky to have input from several well known audio reviewers (friends) to make my purchase decision. I listened to several amps in the $500 - $1500 range and really liked a few of them ( Creek, Adcom and NAD come to mind ). I had Vandersteen 1B's (w/ the wonderful Ariston Q-Deck Turntable/Sumiko Blue Point Cartridge) at the time, and the Creek and the Marantz were a great matches. I ultimately made the decision based upon my prior experience as a Marantz owner & the price (I was able to purchase via a reviewer who is a long time friend @ 50% off list). There had been some bad press about the amp, but I will attest that with my current Speakers (Alon Mark 2's modified by Carl Marchiotto the designer) that this system has impressed my audiophile friends. Also, I admit I am lucky to have a music room that is the envy of many (concrete floor, rectangular, wood walls, not cheap paneling...very warm sound). Is this the best amp ever made, of course not...but for my current set-up and budget it satisfyingly musical...

Remember to support live music! Cheers

Purchased At:   Reviewer Sample

Submitted by mike28 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an affordable intergrated amp to drive my nautilus 804.
When I first heared the PM17mkII M I was amazed. The soundstage is big, stable and precise, the tonal balance is very natural and vocals sound just superb.
On other amp's I've heard the 804's treble becoming a bit harsh, but driven by the PM17 the treble is very smooth, detailed and airy. The bass is full,very well defined and extended in my room.
The amp just sings with every kind of music from classic to rock, from easy listening to hardcore!
The PM17 seems to be a perfect match for the Nautilus 804 (and in my opinion out performs the PM17 KI-signature by miles!)

Purchased At:   dealer