Marantz PM-17 KI Signature Integrated Amplifiers

50 watts

Submitted by Erasmo Macera a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
I found the Marantz pm 17 mk 2 ki in a nigerian store where it was used as demo with little or no use at all for many years.
Finally i bought at a very convenient price and I enjoy it manly for cd listening (marantz 12s1) and web and sat radio.
A superb set up to drive my pre-IAG Castle Stirling 3.
The performance for web radio had a dramatic improvement by the use of Maverick d2 DAC tube pre-out. Fantastic! A great combo.
I can listen jazz, blues, and also rock for hours with no fatigue at all!!!

Submitted by fcord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
This integrated amp is so good that I still own two of them, one in gold finish (which is in my bedroom for accasional listenings), and another, in black (which is in my main system). First of all, it produces an extraordinarily smooth, harshness-free sound, and an open and very deep soundstage. And it is the quietest, background-noise-free amp I have heard so far, even at full volume. I run it with a Marantz CD-10 player and Monitor Audio Studio 6 Speakers; Audioquest Emerald interconnects and Supra cables. All I can say is that my sound system pleases me very much and I do not intend to replace any of its components.

Submitted by Henri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Used with a pair of Tannoy R3, this amp is a marvel.
Tested the standard PM17 with same setup before, and the difference with the KI is huge, it sounds like a different amp. Price difference is well worth it.

Submitted by Marc D a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love this amp.I first checked out a few others,see above.I ended with the original pm17 but changed it for the K.I. What a difference!Much,much more detail better midrange and fast bass,even when pushed loud the K.I.got it all under control.My system is:Marantz pm17 K.I. Marantz cd17 K.I. Marantz st17 tuner,Mission 753F speakers,Siltech SQ80 interconnects,Nordost flatline gold mk2 speakercable,Atacama audiorack.If you are considering to buy the pm17 or the pm17mk2,give the K.I.a serious listen.It's well worth the extra money.

Submitted by Philip Croeser a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
What an amp. Although only rated 60W into 8 ohms, this amp handled my B&W 604 S2's with total control. Superb build quality and I liked the old fashioned looks.
But I guess that is not the most important issue - they sound divine! They produce a large, open soundstage and closely pin-pointed stereo image. It produces a warm and transparent sound. The phono stage clearly got a lot of attention and sounds wonderful!

Clearly an audiophile integrated amp with very little (if any) competition in its price bracket.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile