Marantz Model 1090 Integrated Amplifiers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $240.00

45Watt rms per channel thd .1% @full power (1977)

Submitted by smokiejoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp off Ebay for just over £100, the main reason I bought it was for the reputation early marantz amps have and it's good looks. It seems very powerful for an amp only rated at 45w per channel and is more than enough to power my speakers. Only having low end modern hifi's before the difference in sound is astonishing, I have never heard clarity like it before. I think this will be staying with me for some time.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Dman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I found this little jem at a pawn shop for $75.00 CDN (same place I got my Cyrus for $250.00 CDN.

I got it home and cleaned it up- removing the front panel and controls and wahing them in warm soapy water takes off the film and nicotine that had crusted the finish. Also cleaned about 20 years of dust fromt the innards and sprayed the control contacts with cramolin contact preservative.

Hooked it up and it powered up after a few second. I tried the unit as a full integrated amp and was not overly impressed with the power section on larger speakers (I have Dalhquist DQ-10s as my main speaker, so perhaps I'm being unfair), but the bottom end was rather mushy sounding and the top end kind of two dimensional. It sings through two-way minimonitors, but at the expense of overall resolution (it WILL play loud, however). The listing here says the power section is 45W/pc, but it is actually rated at 35W/pc, so I didn't expect much from it with the 'big' speakers.

What I was surprised about was the neutrality of the phono stage in this amp. First of all, its all descrete transistor- no integrated circiut chips here (al least not for another 5 to 10 years after this rolled of the line). While the phono stage is not the first (or even second) in resolution, I can happily live with the sound (it even got my preference over the Rega Brio's phono stage- but just!), and am currently using it as a pre-amplifier in my main system (it works well at taming the over aggresive sounding Dalhquist/Alesis combination).

I give the unit 4 stars for the value only because while it is a bargain, it isn't a giant killer, and 5 stars on the overall rating because it IS better than I even thought it would be, considering it's vintage!!!

If you can find one as cheap as I did, try it out. for a second amp or standby when the 'real' gear is in the shop, I don't think you'll be missing anything!

Purchased At:   used at a pawn shop

Submitted by Corey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
it is actually a 1060 but since there is no category for it i will write one here. it is a very musical amplifier and is what i grew up listening to. i always loved it...it didnt color the music at all even though thd isnt on par with todays standards. It really does not compare with my current amplifier though
which doubles the marantzs power of 60 x 2 to a 120 + 120
@o.0015 THD @8 ohms. but all around the marantz would kick a JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer amplifiers but that was made today

Purchased At:   recieved from my father

Submitted by Anthony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
This i a very good vintage amplifier and it sound good.It is very very powerfull for 45watt rms bye channel

SFLAT: