Luxman A-383 Integrated Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $1295.00

100 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Hans Van Tigchelt a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had my A383 for two years now, which entitles me to give an experienced comment I guess. In brief : it's the best I've ever heard in it's price-class. Due to the hughe dynamics it comes close to the warmth and attack that can only be realised with much more expensive valve-amps. Additionally this thing can really rock ! Play Tony-Joe White or Stevie-Ray Vaughan at one-third on the volume-dial and there's no excuse left for not having the party of your life !I'm also a beginning jazz-enthusiast (prefer styles such as Diana Krall, Kenny Burrell, Rebecca Tornqvist, etc.) and the Luxman A383 really serves this music right. Vocal quality is superb and all the acoustic instument-details are reproduced in their most minute detail.
I need to say that I only discovered the full potential of this machine when a friend brought his self-assembled Visaton Vox 251 speakers : WOW ! This made me fully aware that my Bose 411's are a poor excuse for a speaker-system (as I suspected), need to change these things quickly...
I play my CD's in a Sony CDP-CA80ES, 5-changer, real good for overall brightness, but my (sadly deceased) Vector Research casette-type 6-loader (purchased in 1985) was much better in the extreme-low bass section.

Submitted by Stefan Beranek a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
Well, I bought this Amp today and I am fascinated, I never thought, a 1500$ amp could give this vintage-sound. It doesn't have a CE -Certificate, it has lots of inputs: CD, Tuner, Tape1, Tape2, LD, Video, Aux and a MC/MM switchable Phonoand outputs: Tape1, Tape2, Video, Aux
It has pre/poweramp seperated by chinch connectors,IR Remote, Direct source, Copy source selector and loudness and a great 90% dynamic range

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile