LINN MAJIK-IL Integrated Amplifiers

4.52/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

33 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Roland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had a Majik for a few years and listened witz:
Manticore M1 + Linn K 5 turntable,
Rotel RDD/RDD 980 CD
Triangle Alcante Speakers
I compared the Magik just with the Audio Analugue Puccini SE . The Pucini SE is two classes better!!!
The prize for the amps are similar in Germany, so buy the Audio Analogue!!!!
Or you make holiday in Mantua in noth italy, near lake Garda. In the Hifi-Shop in the inner city you just have to pay 500 Dolars fpr the Audio Analogue. A new one! (I talked with the dealer in summer 2001)
I think the "high quality" of the Linn is just a myth.

Purchased At:   used, normalliy price in germany 1300 dollars

Submitted by Prakit Premthamkorn a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been using this as a secondary system at my bedroom. It feeds it with Magnum Dyna Lab Etude tuner, and tubed Cal DAC (Rotel RCD655 as a transport) for more than 3 year now. The speakers are B&W CDM 1. Orginally, this amp sounded ok but not great. I though about selling it many times but I enjoyed the convenience of the remote control and it's compact size enough. So, I kept it.
After a year, I replaced regulators(LM317/337)of its power amp modules (4xTDA5410s) with LT1086/LT1086. This improves the sound considerably. It sounds sweeter, more involving with more bass punch. With this level of sound quality, I can live with this it. Replacing the pre section's regulators should improve it further but I had hard time unscrewing the regulators that are fixed to the PCB. Also, I want to trying replacing the bridge rectfier with an ultra fast, soft recovery one.
Although I like it as it is now, I think you can get better value for money from Class' integrates.

Submitted by Matthew Weems a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Do not be fooled by this integrated being only 33wpc. It will play louder and more mucically than any 100wpc receiver and most +2K seperate components. It is Stereophile Class B rated, I understand why now. It is the cheapest (pricewise) Class B component on the list. Amplification can make as much of a difference in sound as your cd player or speakers. Nuff said. I feel like such a dummy for the rave reviews I gave on other equipment. This is the next level here!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Chris a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Linn Majik is a superb integrated amplifier.

Beautiful box.
If you appreciate reductionist design; simple lines and careful attention to detail, you can't help but be curious about the Standard Black Box that Linn puts its electronics in. Austere in looks and extremely rigorous in their approach to visual and acoustic design, the Linn engineers use the same size unit as a template -- each component matches the next in your audio system. The metal on the housing is slightly textured which adds a nice detail.

Majik sound.
My Majik has 66 w/ch. and sounds devine. For your reference, my system is all Linn and includes Aktiv crossover Keilidh speakers, supported by two lk85 amplifiers. When you audition the Majik, the first thing that you will notice is the warmth and overall balance to its sound. In addition the amplifier has a clarity that is lacking in many other more expensive preamps on the market. The Majik is agile and responds well to a variety of music types. I find my system very listenable. This is important because oftentimes a mediocre system leaves you tired -- you actually find the listening experience tedious and switch to other activities. Not so with the Majik, its resilient and forgiving on the ears!

Phono stage.
The unit I have has 5 line level inputs and a phono stage. A phono stage? What does that mean you say? For those of us who still purchase vinyl
Linn has continued to support through excellent phono-stage electronics. Many manufacturers have abandoned this feature as the percentage of sales in vinyl drops. However, if you have a lp player and a considerable investment in vinyl you will love the way the Majik supports even a modest turntable.

Linn audition.
I highly recommend auditioning many components when analyzing your hi-fi choices. I auditioned over two dozen systems over a year and a half before deciding on the Linn Majik. Take your time and you'll pick Linn!

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Johannes a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
With my Acoustic Energy 109SE speakers the Majik can play loud, fast and dynamic. Compared with the Thule IA150B it's sound is definitely faster: while the Thule IA150B amp was on the slow side despite it’s 150-Watts. The Majik is different in particular the decays are so quick that this amplifier goes to the heart of the rhythm, which the more “technical” Thule amplifier never managed to achieve, although it’s almost five times as powerful. Linn equipment is famous for it's lack of harsh, hard or transistory sound but there is no overt warmth and certainly no plumpness that some tube equipment can exhibit. The Linn Majik is an engaging piece of equipment. I know this doesn’t convey much about the nature of the sound it produces, but I hope it does let you know how complexly involving it is. .

Purchased At:   S/H