Creek Audio 5350R
Description: 75 watt per channel integrated

Submitted by GHeyser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
After listening to this amp. for seven months. I have concluded that this is one of the best souding amps I have ever listened to when connected to the right components. My source is a Njoe 4000 tube CD player with Ediswan tubes. Connected with Emberglow cables. I am using Axiom T60 speakers. This system is very very musical and gives new meaning to the word synergy.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by garfield a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I first have to tell you that my audiophile quest is good music on the cheap. I'm not interested in those $20k monoblocks, or Wadia CD players (I do dig SACD). I have over the last 8 years listened and owned several sub-$1k integrateds and have recommended budget systems to my friends. I believe the 5350R is a terrific product and excellent value. It can make good speakers disappear. Good at reproducing acoustic and vocals. Has a very neutral tonal balance. I would recommend a relatively efficient pair of spekers with it and a good front end. It is well worth the money. Best for jazz, classical music and vocals. Also sports very good looks.

Submitted by Lindsay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have not actually purchased this amplifier,however I listened to it extensively with my own speakers and was able to gain a very good idea of its strengths and weakneses. It is certainly an easy going and smooth sounding product but it lacks soul and timbre. There was never a sense of life and joyous expectation of what the next CD might provide. It was as if the Creek was so anxious not to offend that it provided no emotion---somewhat like diet vanilla custard,hardly offensive but not the type of item that you would lust after. This was all very disappointing to me as I really wanted to like this amp but it just is not a soulmate as a good amplifier can be. I have been searching for a good integrated amplifier for some time,to no avail. From what I read on Audioreview, the Jolida 1501 hybrid may be the cat--can anyone out there let me know if that would be a good match with Monitor Audio Silver 5 speakers and a Sony XA55 ES cd player.
In conclusion I would say that the Creek would only be a good thing if you have a somewhat bright sounding system and a subwoofer.

Submitted by Tommi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
My brand new Creek 5350R is actually model year 2001 but this program for writing reviews doesn't have 2001 as an option so that's why I choosed 2000. I got interested in Creek products by reading articles in several Hi-fi magazines, all of them have rated almost every Creek product they have tested with highest possible scores. First I thought purchasing the 4330mk2 R, but afterall I ended up with the 5350R. I also considered Arcam A75 and Cambridge Audio C500/2*P500 separates. I choosed 5350R mainly because I think it will please my raising demands for a longer period of time, it has the ability to change inputs with remote and it looks very good.
The few weaknesses I described are not something you can't live with. The transformer's sound I mentioned is typical to all amplifiers with toroidial transformers. Music renders it unhearable, but it is present when the amplifier is online. Remote controller isn't exactly pretty but I use Philips programmable system remote so I don't consider it as a weakness, but some would.
At last, the sound, which is very good. I begin at the two or three highest octaves. Creek is bright but not too bright, highs are very smooth, detailed and dynamic. The last two adjectives describe amplifier's midrange as well. Then bass region: forceful, detailed and controlled. Finally, imaging. The Creek represents live, big but still natural and accurate stereo image. You are able to point out single instruments from between your speakers and beyond.
Final word. Creek 5350R is an excellent amplifier. It represents a natural in control sound. It's strengths far exceed it's few weaknesses. I can recommend this amplifier to anyone with no hesitation. But use only with quality CD-player, speakers and cables if you wish to get the most out of this amazing silver box.

Purchased At:   RoiAudio

Submitted by Rick Eason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been a fan of Brit integrated amps for 20 years. To my ears, they generally have a much more musical presentation than state side products, including the super high priced models like Boulder, McIntosh, Krell, etc. I often listen to live music -- classical, Jazz, folk, rock, etc. The big muscle amps from the good ole US of A all sound very thin to me. Brit amps get the Cellos, Saxophones, Rich vocals etc., right. However, in previous generations of Brit integrateds, the dynamic contrast of a live performance was not available. Frankly, prior to purchasing the 5350R the best representation of realistic total quality and dynamic presentation I had experienced was with the Creek 4330R, even though it has a rather modest power rating of 40 WPC @ 8 0hms impedence.

Okay, now for the grande finale. I heard a 5350SE driving a pair of Alon Circ Speakers at a friend's home and was blown away. I decided to order a 5350R to take a test drive with my PSB Stratus Gold i Speakers, hoping that the slightly lower power rating and less current on demand would not reveal significant diminishing returns compared to my friend's set up. Aahhhh!

If you listen to real music, have a value oriented approach to maximizing your listening pleasure, appreciate accurate reproduction of the tonal and dynamic qualities of musical instruments as well as the human voice, and think reproducing these qualities is simply too much to ask for in a reasonably priced integrated amp., try the Creek 5350R. I suspect you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor