Classe CAP-100 Integrated Amplifiers

4.82/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

100 watts

Submitted by LesB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
I can't help but weigh in after having read the reviews. When I bought my CAP100 several years ago, I auditioned many amplifiers in my home for seeming weeks at a time. After trying all of the usual suspects available at the time (Krell, B&K, Audio Research, etc.) I found that I liked the CAP100 the best. I ordered one and Classe sent a CAP151, thinking I would like their new, more powerful, more expensive model better. After several days of listening to the CAP100 beside the CAP151, I concluded that the CAP151 was a step backwards. In spite of its higher power rating, it had far less punch in the deep bass. Otherwise it was similar to the CAP100.

I was using Cambridge Audio R50's (made in England) and Infinity Preludes for my auditioning, so I wasn't taxing the power of the CAP100. I certainly didn't see any difference in power between the CAP151 and the CAP100 in spite of the added 50w of the CAP151.

To end the story, I paid full price for the store's demo unit rather than having to settle for the CAP151.

Purchased At:   Goodwin's High End

Submitted by ryder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
This integrated amp is a very good introduction to the entry high-end market. Although this amp may be already a classic, it is an extremely capable performer and the best bang for the buck (if you can afford one).

This was my last integrated amp before I upgraded to separate boxes of pre-power. At certain times I regret selling and wanted the thing back for a 2nd system in my bedroom. This amp has great transparency and plenty of power in reserve don't let the 100W power rating fool you. Dynamics are as good as you can get the the top end detail was splendid with a warm but airy sound. Soundstage was rather bloomy though some may think it's coloured. A minor caveat is the bottom end which lacked the very deep bass notes but this was when comparing the CAP-100 to something like the Aragon 8008BB or Krell KAV-300i. In comparison with other amps in its price range no other amps come close to its pedigree. I've tried the CAP-101 and frankly speaking there isn't any difference between the 2, and the CAP-151 is just slightly better in terms of overall dynamics but you have to strain your ear to hear the difference. If you don't need the power, the CAP-100 is a worthy consideration.

Highly recommended and if you can spot one in the used market don't hesitate and go get it!

Purchased At:   Used Dealer

Submitted by GJ77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the CAP101 with Sonus Faber Concertino Speakers and a PSB sub. I had the Audio Analogue Puccini Remote Amp - highly rated in just about every major Magazine. Needed a little more drive and slam for the 85db low sensitivity original concertinos. So I got the CAP 101. The Cap 101 is a newer version of the highly rated Cap 80. Much more slam and about the same warmth, much more bigger and powerful sounding with better resolution. With the slightly soft sounding concertino, I felt the combo was slightly missing some high end extension.
I had emailed the Classe Manager on the Classe Website and he had told me he actually preferred the 100 over the 101.
So I sold the 101 and found a 100.
The 100 is about 9 pounds heavier and has 14 capacitors instead of the 8 in the 101.
This means more power reserve.
The RCA's are higher quality too.
The sound? same warm powerful sound, plus, greater high end extension! Cymbals are beautifully airy and even greater transparency. More details can be heard than ever before.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by greggieg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
All of what has already been said, and nothing less.

Purchased At:   Agon

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Although a very old model, this amp is absolutely stunning! A huge step up from my previous Arcam 10 integrated.

Associated equipment are b&w cdm1se, arcam 8cd, Nordost super flatline gold speaker cables, Nordost Solar Wind i/c.

Will be getting Nordost Blue Heaven cabling next week..........can't stop upgrading after getting hold of this classe!

Please partner the classe with quality equipment and expect an entry-level to high-end sound.

The price paid was in Singapore dollars.

High End: