Cambridge Audio Azur 340A Integrated Amplifiers

• Aluminium top panel
  • Optional stand-alone phono stage

Submitted by TMash65 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
After a few years over on the dark side (basic home theatre) I needed something to listen to in the office/study like the previous reviewer. It started as a whim and I looked at Rotel, NAD, Denon, Yamaha and even (oooops) Sony and Panasonic when I called into a shop where they had the Cambridge Audio....Admitly He did cheat by demonstraiting the Cambridge 640C and 640A combination running into ProAc Studio 130's......after that it brought back memories of real audio listening, real music produced with a good solid bit of wellie behind it!! ProAc's and the 640's are a magic combo but $6500 on a student's budget....no fair!!!!

And so after a few mad thoughts...(anyone have a share shotgun and stocking I can borrow?? lol ) I thought about it a bit more realistically and looking at the size of the study/office 9' x 12' I had a look at the rest of the range and the 340A/340C combo at NZ$1000 made alot of sense plus I remembered my old speakers that I left with my parents, a local brand called Boland Accoustics that I used to drive with a Rotel 840BX2 amp and later with Musical Fedelity A1X ( note AC current through the DC board is NOT a good thing!! Which lead to me going to basic home theatre all in one systems )

Upon recovery of said speakers ( 1" flurio tweeter over 2 x 4.5" mid/bass drivers in a infinate baffle box approx 8" x 9" x 16"s with freq response down to 35KHz?at 4Ohms rated to 40WRMS and a peak of 80W ) the result was detailed, fuild and there is a good feel of the bass because of the huge power reserve that the amp has.....none of this ' yes you want some bass?, can you hold on for a sec while I wake up the boys handling that......'

The sound out of the box was all I had hoped for and more.......

I think this system is ideal for someone who wants to move beyond the "Walmart" stereo for the same sort of price....ok so you might loose some neat lights, maybe only be able to play one cd at a time.....oh the horror lol

In short, these two plus a good bookshelf speaker or even a simple 2way floorstander which in the US should run you all up well under $1000 and dont tell me that a "walmart" stereo wont run you that much......

Purchased At:   Shop/ New

Submitted by broadw a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Bottom Line:

I needed a decent stereo system for my medium sized office at work, and was looking for one that wasn't too expensive, yet still produced good sound. I didn't need alot of power, since the music would rarely be played at loud volumes. I listen mostly to classical and jazz during work hours, but go to rock and pop when I'm the only one in the building.

Cambridge Audio has had a pretty good reputation for building well focused amps for a few years now... they try to keep things simple and dire ct, and seem to know where to spend money inside the amps.

I have had the 340A for 6 months now, and I have to say I am very happy with the purchase. I have it paired with 2 Infinity Primus 150 speakers ($120), and the sound is really impressive. In terms of components, I have it hooked up to an Onkyo T-4017 tuner ($60 on ebay) and a generic Portland DVD player ($40 Walmart) so I can listen to CDs as well as MP3s I have burned onto CDs. The Onkyo T-4017 is really an amazing tuner, and I can't recommend it highly enough. They sell for very little on ebay, and you will be amazed at how good FM can sound, especially when it flows through a quality amp like the 340c, and some excellent bookshelf speakers like the Primus 150s.

I was a little worried that the 340c might be underpowered for my office, which is 14' x 28'. Believe me, there is plenty of power to spare! Before I even reach 50% on the volume control, my ears are hurting, and the room is filled with sound at only 25%.

This setup might be a little underpowered if you like to listen to alot of rock and love your bass. For classical, jazz, and pop, I think it would be a great setup for an office, dorm, or bedroom. Don't worry about the watts, as long as you are reasonable with the speakers. I am thinking about adding a sub to give it a bit of boost, but I very rarely miss bass.

Overall, this amp is a very good starting point for a hifi system for small and medium sized rooms. It produces very musical sound, and I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Purchased At:   AUDIOADVISOR.COM

Submitted by Edgar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great little amp for a rather small room, very nice to look at, too!
Iread a review in a german Audio magazine, where it was compared to the NAD
521 BEE. All things considered, they said it was wise to spend that small amount more and get a more versatile NAD system, but that the Cambridge Azur was much prettier... who wouldn't agree?
Anyway the guy in the Cambridge outlet was a helpful guy, not a fanatic as you will often find in small hifi-shops.
Listening tests revealed so much more detail over my old Technics amp, it was a revelation. But it had enough oomph for my needs, so I bought it right away.
I'm very happy with it after 5 months and I play KEF iQ3 loudspeakers on them, to keep the chain british.
So, if you need a touch of audiophile for little money, if you like clear,simple design, the Cambridge Azur is a great amp. Impress your ears and not your buddies eyes!

Purchased At:   Loeffel HiFI Studio,