Cambridge Audio A4 Integrated Amplifiers

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

not known

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hi
I bought my (used) A4 in 2001. I had my doubts initially, since I was originally aiming for an A3i (at double the price though), but soon I realised that this amp is exceptionally capable sonically, regardless of its price tag. I did replace the volume op-amp though, with a much better (and much more expensive) one, and the difference was more than audible. My system now comprises of: cambridge audio d300se cd player, cambridge audio A4 amp (tweaked and operating with the tone controls always bypassed), wharfedale sapphire sp-83 speakers biwired, jvc TD-V662 cassette player, and last but not least, my portable sharp md... :) I don't use a tuner on that system.

Purchased At:   Richersounds/ Glasgo

Submitted by Arfa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
My first introduction to good hi-fi, and at the price I got a lot for my money (120UKP). I have been using it extensively for nearly two years now. I've got it hooked up to a pair of Gale Gold Monitor's (bi-wired), which it drives without a quible; nice bass punch. I've connected many different inputs into it; PC's, PS2, discman's, although at the moment I've got my DACMagic 2i going into it and a Sony turntable. It didn't originally come with a phono stage, but a nice man at Richersounds fitted one for 25 UKP - bargin!

Purchased At:   Richersounds

Submitted by Peter Shuttleworth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Cambridge Audio A4 is a good beginners amp with a good solid sound albeit lacking in subtlety and control.

A good introduction but once you have the hi-fi bug you will soon be looking to upgrade your amp. Whether you have any money in your account or not (wahey for magic money ie Overdraft).

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Anthony Bradley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
At $180/£120 you really can't moan. Very capable amplifier that will please everyone. Still brings joy to me. Even though I'm going to sack it for a Marantz PM-6010 OSE. But then I'm a Marantz Bass freak.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds Liverpool Uk

Submitted by Rob Stebbings a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
A good amplifier, if not flash. Mine has a slight problem maybe. Hopefully a call into the shop for an exchange will help. I'm not tempted by Sony's and such though having heard this Cambridge in full swing!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds