Cambridge Audio A3i Integrated Amplifiers

4.66/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $530.00

60 watts

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
I never thought that Cambridge Audio amps would sound this good. I tried an Azur 340A and was dissappointed. The only British amp I liked was my Creek 4140. All the others I tried was very boring to me...untill I found the A3i from a used electronics dealer. I paired this with my KEF coda 8 which was famous for its exceptional sound quality and notorious for his pestering matching problems. I was in for a surprise. The KEF just began to sound how it was claimed to sound like. It was not the KEF I used to hear. The sound was just full bodied. Mids were as if they were going to kiss me. The bass was tight and the highs, just right. (I would prefer the highs a little more bright) CDs sounded more like LPs. Very warm and smooth. I was just glad that I decided to buy this amp. Great sound.

Submitted by jpramas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this int amp over the NAD C 350, largely because it was $100 cheaper (and probably more since the NAD lacks a phono stage and I would've had to buy a phono preamp, too), but I'm extremely happy with it so far. This heavy little black box has power to burn. Even without bi-wiring, my Triangle Titus 202s sing. Excellent bass, clear mids and highs. Almost never turn the volume above "4." Can hear the speakers nicely in every room in my 900 sq. ft. apartment.

My system:
Cambridge Audio A3i
NAD 521i CD player
Denon DP-7F turntable/Ortofon X1-MCP cartridge (that someone threw out in the trash in my old apartment building!)
Triangle Electroacoustique Titus 202 bookshelf speakers
[and don't even get me started on that cable nonsense, who cares what cables I have, electrons do what they always do no matter what &*^%&*%^ cables I have. . .]

Submitted by Mr Blobby a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Amazing

Purchased At:   richer sounds

Submitted by bert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like to share with all the Cambridge Audio owners that are thinking of upgrading. I have Cambridge Audio CD4SE and A3i, these are very well reviewed here with a Gale 4i speakers. I have gone auditioned for a newer speakers such and settled for the Mission 773e. Gorgeous speakers but need time to run in.. during the run-in I noticed everything seemed to be harsh and bright. Took away all the music I enjoyed. Then it started to settle in. During this time I was introduced to "Musical Fidelity X-10D" which the salesman said will definitely take away all the hardhness and brightness. To cut the story short, the X-10D really change the sound of my whole system to better. After couple of weeks and tried an A/B , with and without the X-10D, and the difference is significant. Without the X-10D everything sound so thin, with them , you have soundstage, smoothness and body in the music (the tube sound). The salesman guaranteed the improvement of money back guarantee ( which is not practice in my country).

For those that want a better sound but limited budget, go ahead and get the X-10D , you can hear the difference, of course on my humble system that has been highly rated here.
Get them fast coz MF are no longer manufacturing them.

Submitted by Brad Warwick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amp is a seriously impressive piece of kit! I purchased it for £80 from Richer Sounds. They were selling them dirt cheap before Christmas because it is now a discontinued model. However, dont let that put you off. I have tested virtually every amp in the sub £300 budget amp arena, and nothing comes close to the Cambridge A3i.

As soon as its cool blue led lights up it simply puts the music first. Bass is taught and deep, treble and midrange are nicely balanced. Infact its dynamic range is truly unvelivable. This means the A3i rocks with virtually anything you care to throw at it; whether it be rock, classical, instrumental or dance. With any familiar song you play through the A3i you will notice new sounds sunddenly appear in your ears. The detail is astonishing. In fact I have not witnessed an amp with better grace and detail even in the £400-£500 price bracket.

Features wise, the A3i is jammed packed full of them. Gold plated phonos and binding posts, 4 line ins, tape loop and a quality phono stage which can be swithed to line level if desired. Iside the black box lies some very flashy kit. Fancy led's, high quality capacitors and a hefty power supply wait for the signal. And boy do they capatilise!

Build quality is top notch. A classic cambridge aluminium facia is present and everything seems to be put together to a high standard, regardless of the fact that it's made in the far east.

Overall this is a must have amp. Audition now!!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds, Birmingham