Cairn Aria
Description: 40 watts

Submitted by Franco Ferracci a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
This little French gem sounds as good as it looks.I use it with Marantz CD 6000 KI sign.,Sonus Faber Concertino,Rega P2 and if the recordings are good (remember GARBAGE IN-GARBAGE OUT) it sounds Fantastic.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by AlainV a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
The model I bought is a class A edition of the Aria HE. It was build by Cairn upon request of their distributor for Belgium/Luxemburg .

When I decided to change my old amp, I decided to try Arcam, Rotel and Nad products thinking they were the most cost effective deals in my price range: lot of power, soft prices and good results in reviews.

Then I had the opportunity to compare these with Cairn amps. I first tried a Nanda preamp with two Mea mono power units(Cairn Fog Easy CD and PE-Leon Classic speakers). The sound was very detailed, really tight bass but could become too analytical after some time(?). Then we connected this little Aria and ... I began listening to the music instead of the amp. Something happened to the dynamics in the mediums and highs that made me forget about the recording. The "reality" of the voice(s) was amazing.

We reconnected the *** and by comparing I understood that things disappeared:
- The stability of the instruments and voices in the musical landscape whatever the volume level,
- The ability do deliver (all) the power fast enough.

The Aria has only 2*12W class A but can drive mids and highs like few in its price range. Bass is more rounded and will not feed large speakers like the Mea power amps could but Cairn provided a preamp out...

Based upon this success, Cairn propose a new 4808 class A (2*30W).

Purchased At:   Audio Concept Luxemb

Submitted by Gregoire a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
System:
CDP Marantz CD 67 SE
AMP Cairn Aria HE
SPK Cabasse Farella

One year ago I change my amp for this Aria because I thought I lacked punch with my Marantz PM 66SE I owned before. The results are mixed. It is brighter and more dynamic with treeble and midrange, but lacks the bass drive ability I was looking for....