Bel Canto Design eVo 2i Gen II Integrated Amplifiers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

eVo 2i Gen II Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Mass_Wine_Guy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought the Bel Canto Design eVo 2i Gen II used from Audiogon after reading nothing but very positive reviews, both professional and otherwise. I was using an Arte Forma I-150 integrated amplifier that sounded good enough, had all the right specs on paper, but wasn't doing it for me. Too metalic and bright in the highs, gave me listener fatigue.

So far, the Bel Canto is quite wonderful. At first, I thought the sound was much less defined than the Arte Forma, but now I think it's far more natural sounding and relaxed. I find myself tapping my foot a lot more of the time and wanting to just keep putting CDs in and listening.

Maybe it's because of Bel Canto's history making great tube gear, but I think they really got everything right in this amplifier. It has enough power and headroom to handle any music I've thrown at it so far. The highs are detailed, refined and never glaring. Lows are very well defined without being overbearing. Midrange is of "you are there" quality.

I think I've finally found the amp I'll be keeping for many years. I'm no expert, but I believe it woujld take a great deal more money to buy an amp that's better than this one.

Submitted by FredGarvin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had the Bel Canto eVo2i Gen II (that's a mouthful) for a couple of years now, after a lengthy auditioning process that included integrateds from a number of similarly priced manufacturers. The Bel Canto put a stop to all that auditioning.

The previous reviewers have done a good job describing the sound, so I will just chime in to say that soundwise, the Bel Canto offers everything I want. Clear, effortless sound at every volume level (many amps don't seem to open up at lower volume), throughout the frequency range, without a hint of harshness but with all the detail. Wide, expansive, lifelike soundstage. Live recordings are a joy.

Ergonomically, the Bel Canto is very easy to use. The volume control is fairly idiot proof, ramping in or out as inputs are changed. And you can set the initial volume level for each source each time you switch inputs.

Purchased At:   dealer demo

Submitted by shoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
This integrated amp is rated 120 watts at 8 ohms 200 at 4 ohms.

The BelCanto has a complete variety of options and features. It has balanced inputs and 4 other inputs plus tape. A pre-out so you can hook up a sub or another amp. Very nice aluminum remote that allows you to switch from source to source with a push of a button. Also a nice readable interface that you can shut off or dim.
When turning on the amp it starts off in "soft" mode so that you can't blast too much power to your speakers. Many more options ..which make it that much more enjoyable.

I have been impressed with the sound since the moment I first listened to it. Full bodied, powerful, and enjoyable. Much better than any of the Integrateds I had tried before, ( listed below). The better the speakers and source the better it seems to sound. I have used many different cd players and speakers with it and each time I could easily evaluate each new component. Right now I am using an Arcam FMJ 36 cd player and Magnepan speakers. The soundstage is huge and the highs sweet and extended, very easy to pick out each individual instrument, and the BelCanto seems to just cruse along as if it were not even there.
Before the Magnepans I had some Meadowlark Herons.. which have full bass response which is deep and punchy, the BelCanto had no problem driving them to floor vibrating levels without even getting warm.

I highley recommend this integrated to anyone, never any operational issues, full extended freq. response, powerful, never etched or grainy, lively and solid.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
Noticed no one has done a review on this wonderful integrated so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

120 watts at 8 ohms/ 200 at 4 ohms
5 inputs including balanced
Pre-out jack for sub or conecting another amp
Heavy duty solid aluminum remote
5 way heavy duty binding posts for speaker hook up
Balance control / mute
Display on/off and display input configuration
37 lbs.
standby mode

I bought the 2i gen II ( hereafter refered to as the 2i ) after reading many of the great reviews and have not been dissapointed! The 2i is powerful enough to drive just about any loudspeaker with ease. When I put it into my system I immediatly noticed improvements in deep bass response being full and powerfull. Also the soundstage widened and the music had depth and body to it that I had not previously noticed before.The 2i is smooth and easy to listen to yet has a livley character that draws you into the music.
As I have improved on CD player and speakers the 2i responded showing me it's seemingly limitless power and sound quality.
I would recommend the 2i highly to anyone who is looking for an integrated with excellent sound along with power and versatillity.

What's wrong with the Bel Canto eVo 2i GEN II intergrated amp?

I am considering to have the Bel Canto eVo 2i GEN II replace my dated but very enjoyable AR SP14/Bryston 3B NRB combo. Now every article on the internet I read is extremely positive about the Bel Canto. This is of course the reason why I am considering to buy the amp. I've seen many writers of rev ... Read More »

Bel Canto eVo 2i Gen II

Please add the following product to the [b][i]Integrated Amplfiers[/i][/b] category ... [b]Bel Canto eVo 2i Gen II[/b] Manufacturer's website information ... [url="http://www.belcantodesign.com/prod_evo2i.html"]http://www.belcantodesign.com/prod_evo2i.html[/url]Read More »

Atlantic Technology: