Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier Amplifiers

250 watt contunuous at 8 ohms power amplifier

Submitted by Redwing-Nine a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Yamaha M-80 is easily one one the best sounding amps I've evered used. I've owned a LOT of amps over the years, and listened to many more. The M-80 is a reference quality unit, and easily competes with the high end units, such as Krell, Threshold, etc. In fact, I was using a Nakamichi PA-7 connected to Legacy Signature III's before getting this amp. I thought the Nak was about as good as it gets, but this M-80 is not only every bit as godd sounding as the PA-7, it sounds even better in a number of respects. The bass fm the M-80 is deep and tight, very well controlled. The midrange is as clear as any amp I've ever hearrd, very life like. In this regard, it betters the PA-7 (and that is no knock on the PA-7, its a tribute to the M-80). The HF treble is clear. crisp, but not at all harsh. At 250 WPC, it can easily push almost any speaker load you throw at it.

Given the age of an map like this, thought it best to buy one that had been restorred. Vintage amps need to be gone through, and old dodgy caps, etc, need to be replaced, voltages adjusted, etc. to get trouble free performance. I got mine from Skip Lacey at http://www.legendaryamps.com/faq.html

Skip goes thrrough the amp and makes it like new. Very happy with the results. In fact, I'm also getting a M-85, and a MX-800 to complete the HT setup. The yamaha amps are to be connected to a Oppo BD-83SE and a Krell Showcase preamp.

Submitted by Yamaha_fiend45 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hi there,
Just wanted to take a few moments to drop a little personal experience on this post,in regards to Yamaha equipment from days gone by.Specifically the Yamaha M-80. I have owned Yamaha equipment since the early-mid 80's,and let me tell you -by far the absolute best investment in home audio equipment I have ever made. By far,the best quality,not to mention the most reliable,best sounding and longest lasting equipment that I have known of anyone to have owned..! As a hobby,I build some very stout home speakers that should really be put into the pro audio class- greatly do to the fact of the high decibile output that is achieved by breaking them in with a " M-Series " Yamaha Amp. Most often the M-80 I have in my shop. Never had any issues what so ever!..This AMP will most likely outlast me..! Every 12 months,remove the cover,fire-up the air compressor,blow out the dust,put the cover back on,that's the maintainence! I have neighbors as far as 3 city blocks away that have personally come over to my shop to comment on the cement shaking bass that can be felt on THERE foundations when I have let my M-80 do what it was designed to do--and that is deliver crushing bass-uncolored clear mids-and ultra crisp highs! Makes a guy feel damn good inside knowing that his 25+ year old M-80 AMP is at the heart of the compliments! I could go on and on.
I have seen some negative feedback on the web and communicated with some on the Yamaha M-80. My conclusion overall, is that there really is ALOT of folks out there that are upset that they spent WAY TOO MUCH GREEN on power amps that can't come close to performing up to the ability of the Yamaha M-80. Also,many have yet to EXPERIENCE one side by side with their choice of what they feel HAS TO BE a great amp, because they paid an obscene amount of money for it ,so it must be the best ,right?
I have friends that remember me purchasing my first M-80 in 1984-85.Back then ,they thought I was crazy for spending $700.00 at a local audio store for this amp--now,they stop by ,can't believe I still have the same amp,HEAR it, and offer me $$$$$$ to buy it...! I would put an M-80 up against ANYTHING new or old. The M-80 AMP is truly deserving of being called a "Legend." Well, just wanted to share MY experience with the Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier.This would be considered a positive post,would like to see more like this posted out there--however I realize that there are ALOT of "M-80 haters" out there, most likely for the reasons I posted in this review.------Yamaha_fiend45-------

60.0 WA BLACK: