Yamaha M-50 Amplifiers

Natural Sound Stereo Power Amplifier 120 W/ch .002% THD

Submitted by Steve Pal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
Sorry this is not the M50 I'm reviewing yet it's close to it. I am truly a newbie at this and thought I'd ad my two cents on the M60. I just added a Yamaha M60 to my Yamaha 663 receiver. The 663 was brand new Christmas 08. The M60 drives a pair of Paradigm tower (can't remember the model #) but they are large floor speakers with three drivers each. I bought the speakers with great anticipation and once hooked up I was never impressed with their sound. Now I know why. If you own a large pair of speakers you absolutely need a seperate amp to drive them. With the addition of the M60 these speakers are finally giving the type of sound I expected. What a difference. I paid $140.00 on Ebay for the M60 and it was worth every dollar. Has some cool red meters on the front that look great in the dark too. There is a threshold of volume, usually more than I want, that needs to be reached to gain the full rich sound. I'm wondering if smaller speakers are really what I need in this room?

Submitted by Kirklin a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a Yamaha C-60/M-60 Pre-amp and amp. I love them! My main receiver is Yamama RX-992 (that too is excellent). I purchase the set for $150.00, so I figured why not try it? My only disappointment with them was, they were introduced before Home Theater made a name for itself, so there are no video inputs. Spec wise (and acutal performance) this pair performs better (clean and louder) than any other yamaha componets I've listened too. ( I'm running AR series speakers). For those with limited budgets, or those who like to mix 'n match and try-out new/old products (like myself) if you can get a hold of a C-60/M-60 combination, I'm positive you will find the extra room to keep them . (The M-60 amp is quite bulky)

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by TODD a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
Wow ! Though this amp is about 15 years old - it sounds warmer and more natural than any of the current amps on the market today. I just purchased this used along with the C-50 Yamaha Preamp - and they simply sound fantastic. 120 watts per channel - but with headroom to boot ! You will not be disappointed if you can find one of these classics in the used market !

Atlantic Technology :