Yamaha AX10 Amplifiers

Submitted by Philip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
The price paid should show UK £ sterling not US $ but it was £2099.

This amp really does exactly what anybody can want of a home cinema system. It is absolutely fantastic for DVD playback - I have a Pioneer 636 DVD, Mission 783 main speakers, Mission 77C centre, Jamo 200C rear centre, Tannoy Revolution R2 as rear surround and a Yamaha YSTSW160 subwoofer and the whole thing totally involves you in the movie you are watching.

Many movies, especially if they have a DTS-ES soundtrack completely surround you with top quality sound from this powerhouse of an amplifier - how can anybody think that 110w per channel is not enough??? What size room are you trying to fill, a stadium?

The only thing I will point out to anybody who does think of buying one of these is that when you first set it up and crank up the volume you may think, as I did, that the amp is down on power output as the volume dial works in a weird way - the dial itself spins for ever and the display shows the volume change which ranges from -100db (minimum) to 0db (maximum). On that basis I expected some loud noise from the speakers when the amp was on half volume (-50db) but it was quite weak, while still perfect quality. This puzzled me but after some research and a chat with the supplier I found that the amp does not start putting out serious volume until above -40db so now I know that -50db is normal listening level for TV / background listening and if you want to get in to the movie and make some noise you should go to -40db or -30db and if you want to cause your room some structural damage then -25db or -20db is the limit I've managed to reach while staying in the room with the noise.

This has to be the best investment I have made for the home cinema system but I suppose the speakers help - after all there'd be no point listening to it through some small weak power rated speakers would there? This amp is fantastic but I hope I don't have to move it too often as it is also too dam heavy.

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks HI-FI - UK

Submitted by Joey Sfb a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Actually, I have done a fair bit of research and listen to the sound of many receivers and amps before I purchased the Yamaha DSP-AX1. Many cheap model that I listen to either disappoint on their stereo performance or do not have the power to drive all 5 speakers and still remain clean. So if you are serious about having good sound you may have to spend quite a bit like >$1500. However, if you do come across a model that is both cheap and good, do let me know. How do you tell that the design of the amp is good, one quick way is to turn up the volume of the amp without playing the source, if you hear no hissing sound coming from the tweeter, chances are good that the amp is really good.

I have listen to Denon AVC-A1SE which is very good but cost $1000 more than DSP-AX1. I can't justify the extra cost because in term of sonic performance they are really quite close but Denon still edge out Yamaha in term of feature like the DTS:NEO and DTS ES Discrete. For those that wants only the best, second best just don't cut it. For me, good performance and resonable pricing is still more important.

Onkyo is not my preferred choice as they are more expensive and doesn't sound as good as the Yamaha at least not to me. I think many will still like their product for what they are. Sorry, not offends to Onkyo and their audio fans.

One of Yamaha DSP-AX1 strength lays in its good amp design, the sound is clean and natural. Those that give it a listen will immediately knows the difference. And for those really serious audiophile and know about room acoustic, they could make good use of their SPL and its DSP to adjust the frequency response curve for their room. Yamaha Hi-fi/Cinama DSP simulation of world reown places are also fun to play around especially if you configure in Yamaha's 8.1 setup. A good thing about Yamaha 44 bits DSP is at its simulation does not affect the quality of the sound, just the presentations. So, I do use it when it proves to be better.

Another feature worth noting is the build in low frequency test that generate pink noise from 35Hz to 250Hz, useful for adjusting subwoofer and to study the room low frequency response.

Yamaha DSP-AX1 is one serious HT equipment build for those fussy user like me that wants all the good stuff and yet be able to get it in a bargain price.

Purchased At:   Yamaha Retailer

Submitted by Dor Kleinplatz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this instrument a few days ago , I replaced my dsp a1
with the dsp ax1 . after almost breaking my arms and back from carring it ( 33+ kg!!! ) I installed it and sat and listened . I imedietly heard an improvment over the A1 .
the sound is more detailed more refind and richer .
the dolby ex and dts es should be used only with suitble software . DOLBY and DTS performance are stunning , the best I ever heard . DTS music sounds wonderfull .
it has 54 dsp programs - for those who love it .

THE BUTTOM LINE IS THAT THIS IS THE BEST AMPLIFIER FOR HOME CINEMA IN THE MARKET TODAY , GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY .

Award-Winning Axiom: