VTL MB-750 Amplifiers

Submitted by jrus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I want to try to write a review that is actually useful rather than just brag about my new toys (which I definitely feel like doing). After thinking it over, I’m going to break it into two parts: 1) Dealing with VTL and, 2) The Goods. With components on this scale, its almost a toss up as to which is more important so its hard to decide which should go first. I think I’ll start with the practical and work my way down to the divine. I should warn you, if you don’t like, "Man, this clown can’t find a single bad thing to say" type reviews, you aren’t going to like this one. If I could marry these amps and VTL, we’d be smooching on the balcony on our frickin honeymoon suite right now. Some details follow.

1) Dealing with VTL
I had VTL Deluxe 300s for 12 years previously. They sounded great running my MG3s; never had the slightest problem with them. I started noticing an intermittent noise in my system that I thought might be an input tube finally going in the 300s. I called VTL to ask about getting a couple of test/replacement tubes. The woman who answered was smart, perceptive and helpful. She made some insightful suggestions and figured out the fastest way to get me the tubes. Next thing I know, Luke Manley HIMSELF is calling me to offer to COME OVER TO MY PLACE (!) and help me diagnose the problem. This he did, and spent an entire afternoon checking out the amps from one end to the other (which turned out not to be the cause of the noise). He treated those amps like long lost children. He told me stories about how they were made, what was going on at VTL at that particular time, and obviously had genuine affection for them. He never mentioned his other products once. He had no interest in trying to upgrade me. I could hardly even get him to talk about his other products, he just wanted those 300s to sing and dance and he left them doing just that. Very smart, real, nice, genuine guy. If my other experiences in hi-end support and service were 5% of that, I’d be ecstatic. They haven’t been. Not even close. OK, on to the 750s.
I got lucky. I went to Stereo Unlimited in Walnut Creek. (great "real people" store) to listen to Magneplaner MG 20.1s (awesome; bought ‘um!) and they were running them with 750s. They sounded so fantastic together I bought them too even though I wasn’t planning to upgrade amps for awhile.
OK. It turns out they build the amps from sc

Price Paid:    $20000.00

Purchased At:   Stereo Unlimited, Wa

Submitted by Joep a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
After more then one year in search of the ideal system I finally decided to buy it. My system consists of EgglestonWorks Andra's, 2 VTL MB-750 monoblock's, a Wadia 860 CD-player/Pre-amp, a Z-systems RDQ-6 and Synergistic Reseach inter connects/speaker cables. I have heard the Andra's with several top of the line power-amps like Krell FPB-300/600, FPB-250/350 monoblocks, Levinson 331/333/336, Rowland model 8ti and all sounded great in some way but I felt 'most involved with the music' hearing them driven by the VTL tube amp's (350w triode mode/750w tetrode mode).

Submitted by Paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Emotionally and musically satisfying, true to the music and the musicians, capable of driving most any speaker. Sit back and be prepared to be captivated and transported. These are not amps for the faint hearted, as they cost a lot. They are in my opinion worth every cent simply for the way that they get out of the way of the music and let it breathe. Life sized performers will stand before you. If you can afford them you should audition them. Highly recommended!... I wonder what 2 pairs bi-amped would sound like?...

BLG CP024: