Vestax VDA1000 2-Channel Amplifier Amplifiers

With the digital amplification technology offering significant lower heat dissipation, the VDA-1000 has combined the warmth of analog sound and high power output within its compact and portable design.

Submitted by edze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
Pros: Portability and power consumption is low.
Connectivity options: RCA, 1\4", and XLR
Small footprint
Enough wattage for the right system

Cons: Heatsink by design, no fan, but then again I never had any problems running this

Worth the buy: If you can find one for the right price, not retail or MAP

Conclusion: Ok, so I was hesitant at first to invest in one of these until I got a deal to purchase one for 199.00 NEW from a reputable online e-tailer. I could not find ANY reviews on this product from any end-users, granted some of the retailer reviews were Ok. I always tend to trust forum and product review by users, since in the end we are the ones using these things in the field. As an end-user the obvious bias is thrown out the window. That being said, I will describe how I am using this.
I am primarily a mobile DJ and a professional musician part time. For years I have trusted the traditional HEAVY designs of amplifiers consisting of the ubiquitous toroidal transformer coupled with monster capacitors. After making the switch to adopt new technology I can honestly say it was a good decision. To those of you that gig know the sacrifice for good sound = heavy expensive equipment and processing. I currently run a Hercules RMX controller with an Acer Aspire One laptop running VDJ 6.0, connected to an Edirol M-10DX digital mixer to mix multiple input sources, connected to the VDA-1000. The speakers are 2 JBL MR 925's and two Powered JRX 118's. I honestly could not tell the difference in sound quality between my Mackie M1400i, My Crown XLS 602, or my Yamaha CP 2000 amplifiers. Albeit these amps may not be considered high end, but to the working DJ\Musician, it's within the same price range to get the job done decently. What used to take a full size van to bring to an event now fits nicely within a Toyota RAV4. My clients could not tell the difference either other than the smaller setup I bring. I get repeat business many times throughout the year, and the results have been nothing but positive. Obviously these are just tools for us, but to what counts is the end result, the quality of service that's provided.
I recommend this amp for working DJ's for small to medium sized events (100-500 people). With the right speaker setup and placement, this amp gets the job done, and is small enough to set on the DJ table or rack. If you can get the 199 price tag on this I suggest buying two. You can't run this thing into the red all night long, but those of us with experience already know this ;)

Product model year:   2009