Van Alstine Ultimate 70 Vacuum Tube Amplifier Amplifiers

The Ultimate 70 can be delivered to you in three different ways: • As a do-it-yourself rebuild kit (AVA Input-Output Jack Set, new output tubes, and new rectifier tube available as extra-cost options). • As a factory-installed rebuild to a Dyna St-70 chassis that you provide (all new tubes and the AVA Input-Output Jack Set standard). • As a factory-installed rebuild to a Dyna St-70 chassis that we provide (depending on availability; all new tubes and the AVA Input-Output Jack Set standard).

Submitted by tubes2you a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
It's engaging, detailed, romantic. Leaps and bounds beyond a stock Dynaco Stereo 70. Worth every penny. Compares to my $11K tube power amp from Minnisota just not as much power. If you own a Stereo 70... get one, if you don't.... get one anyway, it's that good!

Submitted by rmihai a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
IS everything I wanted to be and even more. Main characteristiques:
1. "Musical"
2. Involving
3. Sound right/natural
4. Outstanding dynamics and transients
5. Surprises me with its ability of very fast responding to peaks. From a wisper to +20db is moving extremelly fast and natural. Nothing short of incredible.

I love it.

Congratulations Mr. Van Alstine - you did it.

Purchased At:   www.avahifi.com

Submitted by ellisaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is simply the best darn amplifier I have every used in my system, and might be the best darn amplifier I have ever heard for modest sensitivity speakers with typical impedance swings and phase angle. I am not totally certain what Frank VanAlstine ( www.avahifi.com ) did to this amplifier, but it really works! There is certainly more happening here than a tube rectifier and choke power supply. I hear more depth into the music (i.e. detail) than ever before and with no harsh edges. My amplifier uses Sonicaps ( www.sonicraft.com ) in the coupling circuits, and this is a non-standard implementation for Frank.

Anyhow, this amplifier really surprised me. Has excellent midrange and high with... very good bass resolution too. I hear more backround information and low level detail than ever before. This amp replaced the AKSA full Nirvana +, which replaced a heavily modified Jolida 302b, which repaced a Bryston 3B-ST. I have also experimented with the AVA FET Valve 550EXR, and a few other very respectable amplifiers over the years. With all of the "power amplifiers" a Creek OBH-12 passive preamp was used.

I am a primarily a classical music listner, and prefer the better flavor recordings from MDG, Chesky, Reference Recordings, and Delos. I will occasionally entertain some John Lee Hooker, and other Jazz too. REO Speedwagon, Journey, and Aerosmith recordings leave much to be desired and are never used in my system.

My CD player is a modified Anthem CD-1, and speakers are obviously the EllisAudio 1801. I am using Frank's tubes.

I belive the only thing that might replace the AVA Ultimate 70 is a very big/heavy/expensive SET amplifier. $1k might seem like significant funds to spend on an old amplifier, but THIS amplifier is... oh my!!

Purchased At:   AVA