unknown ! QES Labs PA-60 Balanced pure class A stereo power amplifier Amplifiers

A pure Class A S.E. stereo power amplifier, fully solid state and fully balanced.

Submitted by 3nity a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
The PA-60 spec out at 60 Watts per channel into 8 ohms, 17 inches wide, 16" deep and 6 and a half inches tall. With a frequency response ruler flat from 1.5Hz to 100kHz (-3dB). These are numbers that are so far beyond the limit of human hearing they approach ridiculous, but do point to just how well this amplifier is designed. The front panel is pretty simple and elegant, the rear sports gold plated binding posts and balanced XLR input connectors. I started off my listening session with AC/DC's High Voltage from the opening track "It's a Long way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll). The PA-60 gave me all the energy I could ever need to even the most extreme volumes. The guitars jumped from my speakers as I was playing them pretty loud but the power of the bass drum kept up and went to depths not often heard. The horns stayed in your face with plenty of air. "Rock 'n' Roll Singer" kept my room rockin' with the powerful guitars and vocals while again the bottom end punched me in the chest like only hugely powerful amplifiers can do - yet it never got edgy or annoying and no matter how high I pushed the volume the bottom end stayed controlled. "The Jack" only further demonstrated how well the power of these amps handled bass. This with all genre of music, No mater what I played, even the Dead Kennedys, I never ran out of power and the bass lines stayed controlled even to high volumes. Even in my test, after hours on end at extreme volumes they never got more than warm and the fans were nearly silent and certainly never interfered with the sound.
The new PA-60 from QES creates an entirely new category of amplifiers by successfully satisfying both the installers, the professionals and audiophiles alike. If you are in the market for top tier performing amplifiers, these are the ones to audition, and while I know the $1,800 price isn't cheap, they can hang with amps costing much more.

BLG CP024: