Transcendent Sound T16 Stereo OTL Kit Amplifiers

15W/CH OTL Audio Amplifier Kit

Submitted by Xylenz Xtorm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
This was my first serious amp, graduating from a $400 bookshelf system (including speakers). I built it and the grounded grid as well as the speakers (Hammer Dynamics). Since this was a DIY kit effort there may be issues due to user error. Also, since I built everything at once I cant make any specific comments about sound quality of the T16 in partucular. On the whole, the system draws me deep into music and even tv ads, but that could be due to great system synergy. YMMV.

That said, there is still a tiny buzz in one channel, but only at certain phases of the moon after its been on for a while (in other words, its intermittent). I think its a bad tube so thats not the fault of the circuit.

The amp definitely gets loud enough for the room with 97db speakers! I could probably get my apartment neighbors to call the police on me but I keep it down most of the time. The system has LOADS of dynamics and bass sounds crisp and refined, not tubey at all. When I figure out what is causing that buzz I'll have a great system that cost around $4500 total including a hot rodded Sony DVP9000ES CD/DVD/SACD player, the amp, preamp, speakers tweaked to the max, balanced power supply AND a nifty flexy rack. My system, in an untreated room sounds better than some $15000 systems Ive heard.

You can order it assembled and spare yourself the hassle, which may or may not be worth the money to you. If youve got the bux let Bruce assemble it for you. If not then dont be afraid to dive in yourself. Theres much fulfilment in a kit you built yourself.

Purchased At:   Transcendentsound.co