Threshold T200 Amplifiers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $4650.00

Solid State Amplifier

Submitted by theo paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought this from an audiophile who had send my T200 to Jon Soderberg at Vintage Amp Repair. He is a former Threshold employee and repair expert. My amp was serviced and upgraded. I love this piece. I have gone to big audio shows and listened to a lot of gear and this T200 can certainly hold its own against many of today's newer and much more expensive amps. Great Sound. For the money I could not ask for better.

Submitted by Volker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
Price Paid $1700

Threshold T-200 Stereo Power Amplifier. 100 watts per channel Class A . Bought second hand for $1700 australian dollars from Simply Hi Fi specialist retailer. This is my first experience with class A amplifiers. Compared to my Bel Banto ref 1000's, Bryston 4bsst and auditioned musical fidelity 250 watt amplifier, this amp is absolutely in a different leaque. Its sound is so airy and 3 dimensional that it gives you a unique realistik experience that I have not encountered before. Midrange and treble to die for and yet so unfatiquing. Lovely low end with great definition. Everything just blends and flows so amazingly real and super clean together. Total synergy as i have never experienced before. I now know what sound stage means. Love it, love it, love it.
BelCanto has greater low end than all however its definition somehat lacks, as well as somewhat recessed / inviting sound stage and lacking averall unison in its complete presentation compared to the Threshold T-200.
Used with Tannoy System 800 8" bockshelf speakers which are very unfatiquing, soft treble and normally not very revealing, the Threshold T-200 has turned them into an amazing performa. I generally only use Electrostatic Speakers, Rob Mc Kinlay Acorns and Accoustat 4+4, cant wait to try this amp on them.

Strength: Unbelivably real, cohenrent 3 dimensional sound, layering of instruments and midrange / treble / bass. An uneexpected improvement and amazing experience over previuos power amps used.

Weakness: Not as small as Bel Cantos, but then what is besides Nu Force amps. May run hotter than AB amps and requires breathing room, but none of this realyy matters with sound as amazing as this.

Equipment: Marantz SA11S2- SACD, Pass Labs X2.5-pre amp, Kimber 8tc cables and Select I.C. Bel Canto Ref 1000-amps & Bryston 4BSST. & Threshold T-200 Stereo Power Amplifier. 100 watts per channel ClassA in Balanced mode, Acorn 8 foot ESL and 6x4 Foot Acoustat 4+4 ESL speakers.

Submitted by SonicPerfections a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have two of these T200's and they are
as good as or equal to anything made today
up to $10,000 with ease. I have compared to the newest Marantz monoblocks, Mac monoblocks, Boulders midline and many
multichannels, Citation 7.1, Cal MCA 500,
Cary Cinema 5, Krell audio standard, the first 3 I owned and sold due to not being
in the same league for 2 channel or HT except the Cal MCA which is a killer HT amp, one of the best IMHO

Submitted by Jerry O. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I owned an early model run of this unit about 1 1/2 years ago. The unit was mated with the ML Aerius i. It had sparkle and dynamics, but lacked a bit of warmth. I then spent the next 1 1/2 years experimenting with various tube amps. Such amps added some warmth but lacked ultimate dynamics and bass. Eventually, I upgraded from the ML Aerius to the MS SL3. The SL3 is quite a bit tougher to drive. The tube amps suffered. So, I just recently foung a tweaked, calibrated NIB T200 from a former Threshold dealer. I mated it to the ML SL3's, and the match was wonderful. The key seems to be matching the electronics to speaker load to get optimum performance. Tubes and ss can both sound wonderful if they are properly matched to a given speaker load. For my speakers, the T200 is a GREAT match. The sound has body, life, and balance; just natural.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by Dave Marti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Built like a tank. Large power supply capacitance.
Warm with a treble that is non-fatiguing.
I just wish I had 2 more of these units to complete
my home theater setup.

I wouldn't describe the sound as tubey though.
It is very much a solid-state amp. After adding
this amp, I thought the bottom end of my Thiel
CS 1.2's sounded more authoratative.

Purchased At:   Audio Odyssey