Threshold T400

Submitted by yroc1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wait a year before writing this review because I was so much in love with this amp that I want to cool down a bit!

This amp was a replacement for an AUDIO RESEARCH VT-100 MK-2.In the same time I also replace my AUDIO RESEARCH LS_15 by a THRESHOLD T-2.I had taken the decision to get out of tubes due to listening habits conflicting with warm up and tube life.
My speakers are ML Aerius i and the digital front is a Wadia 1000 TPT & Wadia 1000 DAC.
Interconnects & power cord are the MUSIC TIMBRE,balanced,between DAC & pre-pre & amp.The spkrs cables are YAMAMURA M-5000.

The T-2 is a beast of 100 pounds with an incredible quality of manufecturing.It is a fully balanced desing, with possibility to be used in mono mode.It has 4 pairs of high quality brass,multi ways,binding posts & 2 pairs of inputs XLR & RCA.
With is rated of 150W X 2,doubling down to 1 Ohm it can easily drive the Aerius i (those spks going down to 1 ohm-which represent a very difficult load!)with great authority and amazing transient.
With the T-2 this combo replaced my previous ARC tube equiptment with a total satisfaction and less assle and a better dynamic when required.

Submitted by les a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
The T-400 is sweet and delicate with iron
fisted control on bottom end slam. This unit is one of the best examples of why some products are so much money.Balanced front to back with incredible detail. They run my kef 105.3 speakers with ease.
I have found the combination of tube dac and tube pre amp and or high quality balanced tube buffer sounds best.

Purchased At:   commercial electroni

Submitted by ERIC HOFFMAN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
In terms of musicality this Threshold is the champ. I have owned earlier models of Threshold amplifiers, my favorite being the SA4e, at 100 watts class A, it remains one of my favorite amplifiers. Compared to other manufactuers, like Krell, and Levinson, the Threshold had a superior sense of clarity and focus. I have to admit I'm hooked on the sound qualities the Threshold T-400 offers. I highly recommend this amplifier, especially if you are able to find one at the price I paid! The T-400 was difficult to find, let alone the price I paid it took me quite some time but my patience paid off. I'm in audiophile heaven with my current system, which consists of, Mirage M-1si speakers, Thresold T-2 preamp, Threshold T-400 amplifier, Sony SACD-1 player, all interconnect and cabeling are M.I.T. Power conditioning is handled by a Chang Lightspeed ISO-9600.

Purchased At:   sound city

Submitted by Bernardo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
This amplifier can drive any speaker with any impedance. It has terrific detail without being bright or forward sounding. Sound stage is wide and deep, and with the right speakers, can produce holographic imaging. The sound is refined and liquid without sacrificing any information. The T400 has worked flawlessly and so far has proved itself to be bulletproof. It is the best Threshold amp I have heard and beats most all other amps I have auditioned. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Charles Catron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have used the T400 for about 5 years now and I really can't think of a major negative about it. The sound has
been amazing every since I unpacked it. I have moved it
several times (very heavy) and have not had any mechanical
problems or blown fuses. I guess the one way I would describe it would be very neutral. The comment on the bass above is probably associated with my current room placement
and my speaker selection. My experience has been that bass
response often is most associated with room factors and speakers and not with amplifiers per se (assuming relatively good quality). My only concern is that I have heard that Threshold is out of business and I guess I am on
my own if something breaks. Otherwise a great amp and worth
the expense.

Rest of system:
Threshold Fet Ten e
Threshold DAC 1 e
Mark Levinson No. 37 CD Trans.
Wilson Witts