TAG McLaren Audio 125M
Description: 125W monoblock

Submitted by Richard Clapham a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have a Meridian 596 CD/DVD, Aragon Soundstage, Dynavector HX1.2 190w x 2 amp, 3 x Tag McLaren 125M's, Shahinian Arcs as rears, a REL Storm III subwoofer, an Arvus front speaker system, a Stewart Filmscreen and Barco Cine7 Projector with line tripler, MIT cables and Kimber Select Interconnects throughout entire system. Total cost is approx $60,000 US) not including dedicated soundproofed room.

I use the system above and I have nothing left to upgrade. The 125M's are a work of art in that the sound they give is "perfect", meaning you don't want to upgrade it, or change it, or fix it, and in my book that's where a piece of equipment shows it's strength, when it's sound is not a weakness. The sound should be cohesive and quality, or lack of it should not reveal itself. That's why I love the 125M's, you don't notice them doing anything wrong, ever.

I have used quality interconnects througout my system and highly recommend this as the better the signal to the amps, the better the sound and yes, you can tell a difference just as you'd notice in a music only system, so let's put it this way, these monoblocks work great in a system that easily outprices these amps but they keep up nicely, in fact they blend in seamlessly with a dedicated audiophile setup.

So good I'd buy them again if needed and would recommend anybody look at Tag McLaren for amplification.

Purchased At:   Soundline, New Zeala

Submitted by julian a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I find it hard to believe somebody could buy these amps in a shop demo comparing them with others. But unfortunately is the way how we choose our equipment.
In direct comparison the 125 could sound: not fast, not expressive, not... in few words they don'thave acaracter that seduce you, so it is difficult you will spend your money on them. But. What happens if you buy it for any reason or for mistake? You won't regreat. The quality it didn't have on direct comparison, will come out. I generally get tired of a product after one or two months. I sell 80% of Hi-fi equipment I buy. And some of them I bought they cost as a car.