Sunfire Cinema Grand
Description: 200W/ch x 5

Submitted by mauserb a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
I love this amp! I have nothing bad to say about it. It runs so cool I'm able to leave it behind glass doors. The current/voltage bi-amp cong. sounds so sweet, my speakers love it (Energy Veritas 2.3). During movies it is as good as anything I've heard. I have a TG1, I use to have a Marantz AV9000, the sound is more detailed with the TG1. Thanks Bob Carver! Amazaing power in a beautiful package that runs cool.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Dylan Arriaza a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Nothing complex about any amp but I'm a firm beleiver that power is the most important variable to any system. Lot's of clean power = big, nice effortless sound. The unit is well made. Balanced and unbalanced inputs are nice options. Voltage and current hookups for us bi-ampers. I am powering some 230watt Athena F2's and they match perfectly. If you have speakers that are on the slightly bright side, this is the amp for you. If your speakers are nutural sounding, you may get a flat response from them. I originally had some Infinity RSb4's hooked up and they sounded great but lacked the clear definition of female voices like Jewel. The concept of the downward tracking converter makes this speaker 100% clip proof. Regardless of the size speaker or impedence, I cannot make the front Joules meter drop below 380...and my Athenas can go way LOUD! I've been through some amps over the past 10 years including Parasound, ADA and others but I have made this amp my last.

Submitted by radone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp now for a little over a year and can say that I love it more every time I listen to it. It is mated to a Marantz AV9000 Pre Amp and has been a great combination. I did not like the Theater Grand when I was auditioning different equipment and the dealer had the Marantz set up and was sold after that. A great combination. I have never had any problems with this amp, it runs cool and quiet. It has tremendous power reserves and has never missed a beat while powering my NHT VT-3 mains, VC-3 center and VR-3 surrounds which are notoriously power hungry.

Submitted by SC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
First of all please allow me to say this review is for the CGII, there is no comaprison between the CG and CGII.
A few of the differences are;

1. Much Larger P/S
2. 225x5 WPC
3. Larger CAPS, larger power reserve
4. Trigger ON&OFF

These are the some of the substatial modifications to the new CGII.
Now on to the review.

I really don't know where to start, I'm sittin here shaking my head and smiling trying to figure out which one of the unbelievable design characteristics I should start with first.
The most awsome to me would be the performance, it is by far for the money one of the best sounding amps on the market today. It runs cool and no matter what the load or volume it continues to run cooler than most DVD palyers you lay your hands on.
The other huge enhacement is the DC trigger system, it no longer depends on signal precence to turn on the amp, it is turned on when triggered and turned of the same way.
Quite honestly the only negative I have is the binding posts, you would figure for a high end amp that you would get better quality posts.
Overall this piece of hardware is exceptional, it does a great job musically and a awesome job in multichannel.

High priced balanced cables are not necessary for short runs but you must use good quality interconnects and speaker cables, it is absolutely crutial.
I would recommend Audioquest interconnects and speaker cables, CV-6 to be exact.
Remember that cables are relative to your gear, if you have a 500.00 receiver and 100.00 speakers it wouldn't make sense to buy 400.00 speaker cables. Having said this because you're reading this review you're entertaining the purchase of this or a similar product. It doesn't make similar sense to spend 2000.00 on this amp and more money on other gear to connect it all up with .50 cents a foot copper wire, buy the best speaker wire you can afford relative to your system. Remeber good quality speaker wire and interconnects do NOT make your system sound better, they just introduce less distortion hence a better sound.

One final note, go listen. What people tell you and what you read means nothing if you don't like what you hear, everyone hears different things. Go audition amps with the music you like, not with the music the salesman likes and listen to amps connected to similar speakers that you currently have or looking to acquire.

It is a big step for

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Submitted by chinman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have since upgraded to Krell. However, Sunfire equipment is excellent. Used in conjunction w/ HTGII preamp, sound is harmonious and brings vocals to life. Inputs to biamp and biwire are an added bonus. Can pretty much handle any load.
One can find a unit used for a substantial bargain.