Sumo Nine Plus Amplifiers

4.5/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

650 Watt Push-Pull Power Amplifier (1982-1991)

Submitted by Hans Huber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I origionally purchased the Sumo Nine in 1984 along with the Sumo Electra preamplifier. I was initially driving a pair of Tannoy Windsors which gave way to a pair of Acoustat 2+2 electrostatic panels which I still have. I still use the Nine and just replaced the preamp with a Blue Circle BC3. The BC3 really works well with the Nine - very musical combo. The BC3 took my system to a new musical level and the Nine shines more. The Nine is very capable and deserves a fine preamp. I also have a sub which you need with panels. The Nine is very easy to listen to hours on end. There are better amps out there but for the money ($1400 new) there is nothing that can touch it. It is a class A design with 65 watts into 8 ohms and 120 into 4. It does run hot and the only drawback is the noisy fan. It is the class A design that makes the sonic differene. Other class A amps have the same beautiful sound as the Nine but cost far more and are somewhat better. The Nine will sound close to a tube amp just not as sweet. I have yet to do any service work on it and have been running it for 26 years. Don't know what I'll do should it ever bite the dust. If you find one, seriously consider it. Anyone can get great music out of $5000.00 amps. You will get close with a used Nine at the fraction of the price (spend the difference on a tube preamp - I should have swapped preamps years ago). The thing to remember is the Nine is only 65 watts into 8 ohms. If you have inefficient speakers, the Nine might not have the omph to drive them if you like loud.

Submitted by roadierider a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've been using a SUMO Model Nine amp for my main system for about 4 years now. It is a fabulous sounding little amp! I think solid state "class A" is the way to go if you want a somewhat tube sound without the eventual maintenance issues.

I orig. used a Sumo Andromeda II amp for the mains. Great amp, but overkill on the powerfor my efficient speakers. Now I go thru an active crossover and use the Nine amp down to about 65 HZ . The Andromeda II is now running a homemade NHT driver (#1259?) subwoofer. I quit tinkering after this setup. It sounds great!

FYI, I feed the amps via an AVA "Audio by Van Alstine" hybrid SS/ tube pre amp, then an Audio Control active crossover that I bought about 10 or 12 yrs ago. I think those were the last pieces of gear that I bought new. After that I got addicted to good deals on used vintage stuff.

As far as the fan..... It drove me crazy. I like zero background noise when I 'm listening, so I took the fan and top off and made a new cover. I bought a piece of heavy expanded steel mesh at Lowes. (available in 2 x 2 ft sheets and has 1/2 inch diamond shaped openings). I shaped it perfectly, painted black to match and bolted it on. It looks great and has max open air flow. It gets very hot, but so far it's been fine. The up side with a class A amp is that they make great space heaters in the winter months....:-)

BTW, It's 60 wpc "class A", not 650 wpc, as the above heading states.

Jeff

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by dynalead a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought 2 Sumo Nines when they were first produced (early 80s?). Have been using since then driving Dahlquist DQ10s, Magnapans, and now Sound Dynamics 300ti.
Amps were stored for a time in basement that flooded. Cleaned them up, still operating! Only problem was tendency to blow the power rail fuses.
Fan was noisey. I removed the fan and the case. Amps have been operating like this for years without a problem and no overheating. Keep children and cats away!

Purchased At:   The Listening Room

Submitted by jwsb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am really quite surprised at that I found any reviews on this product at all! I know that Sumo's been out of business but could still have some of the Bongiorno descendants out there; most notable of his products would have to be the Sumo Nine and 9+. Technically, I could not dare to axplain what Class A really means. I saw this unit on the shelf collecting dust for more than a year at a friends shop and got a bit curious. Started surfing for reviews: Ditto. Except some impression that the amp has quite a cult-like following.

How does it sound? After taking the unit home for auditioning matched with music reference RM5 Tube pre and Soliloquy 5.0 speakers.

The result was impressive. It seem to cough up a bit and sounded steely at first (probably the result of being in storage too long) but later bloomed and opened up after a few hours. Definitely an excellent performer. After a few hours details seemed crisper and the amp started to breathe. Despite it's heavy looks, the sound seems airy and transparent resulting in less fatigued listening. The sound stage was also better than expected from an SS. Would recommend this Amp for anyone who wants to get into hi-end sound. Don't let looks and age fool you.

Submitted by Russell Kishi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
My Sumo Model Nine Class A amplifier has given me more than 20 years of high performance. It has also been reliable beyond belief. James Bongiorno says he never had an output transistor fail in a Sumo Nine, and I believe him. How many amps can remain this trouble free over more than 20 years?

I do not intend to replace this beauty. It delivers 120 watts into the 4 ohm load presented by my Dynaudio Audience 42s. What more would you ever want when driving a pair of Audience 42s? The sound is both sweet and extremely coherent. Smooth. The greatness of the Sumo Nine revolves around its ability to recovery gracefully whenever it is overdriven. Your ears never hear any clipping distortion, because the amp is so effortless in its reovery. It never loses a step. There is no way i can buy a better amp for the Dynaudios. The soundstaging is phenomenal also. This amp may be the all time champ in terms of bang for the buck.

System includes Rega Planar 2 with Blue Point, Arcam Diva 62T CD, Adcom GTA 500 preamp and tuner.

Purchased At:   Accurate Audio, Sant