Sugden Audition T Amplifiers

Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Andyroooo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
In my experience the search for Hifi equipment, which satisfies my need for musicality, has been frought with expensive mistakes. Many purchases having been prompted by overly enthusiastic and misrepresentative magazine reviews.

In my bargain purchase of a 1998 J.E.Sugden Audition - C, I have now got a wonderful amplifier which makes my feet tap along to the music, has a fantastically real soundstage, and makes acoustic music sound awesome. I cannot speak highly enough of this amp. It has power, is made beautifly with top quality components, and by a company which KNOWS hifi. J.E. Sugden have been handmaking Hifi for over thirty years, and they care about quality, with a passion.

JE Sugden's web page:

Do try to get a demo of JE Sugden equipment to see what I mean. I think you will agree with my comments.

Purchased At:   private sale

Submitted by DJ_Big_Mac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is actually a review for the Audition C which is the T's big brother. I was lucky enough to hear this at the factory played thru a pair of totum 1's, if you don't know these speakers then seek out the reviews for these, they are small, but great bass, expensive, but value for money. Needless to say they are going to be my next purchase. Anyway back to the amp. It is rated at 65w but sounds a lot more, no mickey mouse ratings with this. The guys at Sugden played me loads of different stuff, classical, rock, trance, female vocal, accoustic guitar etc. I think I'd have stayed all night if they hadn't closed. This amp, especially with these speakers, makes great music, what I mean is you don't feel you are listening to hifi but to the artists themselves. On one particular track, a piano being played in an auditorium, the instrument could have been in the room with us. Not only that but people coughing could be placed exactly in 3D as to where they were sat! On another track by "Ryan Adams" the first verse only had accoustic guitar, again he could have been sat 5 foot in front of me such was the reproduction, even the plucking of the individual strings could be placed vertically. I, at present, have the amp connected to a Rega Planer 3 & a pair of Richard Allan "Minette2" speakers. The speakers sound OK (much better than when connected to my previous amp), and my vinyl has never sound so good, I have started to listen to music properly once again, however I am looking forward to getting the Totums.

If you want an amp that is detailed, but not harsh, has an excellent phono stage (MM only) and a unique, as far as I know, EQ set up. (Check out there web site for the details www.jesugden.co.uk) Then for the money I think you will be hard pushed to better this.

Submitted by Jon Taylor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Audition-T was a real find after listening to several 'well known' amplifiers at at the same price. The Audition T was a much more musical experience without harshness but still retaining detail in the high frequencies. This matches my slightly bright (but superb) sounding Totem Mites. As a dedicated turntable user I was dissapointed that I had to change my Goldring Elite for a moving magnet as an mc input is not available on the amplifier. Overall a much better alternative to the Japanese amplifier I have just replaced at and worth paying the extra for.

Price in England £649.00