Sound Valves VTA-70i Amplifiers

4.69/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

300 Watt Tube Power Amplifier (Sold as a kit or preassembled)

Submitted by SunHawk7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first tube amp and it exceeded my expectations. I got it as a new kit off of Ebay for $500 and thought it would be a fun project. The instructions were clear, but I am a real beginner when it comes to electronics. Turned out to be a very easy kit to assemble and I got it up and running in about 3 hrs by myself.

After a good burn in, I was surprised out how good this little 35 wpc amp sounds! Very clean with a bottom end that was much more powerful with my Jamo speakers than I was expecting. But mainly, the sound is warm, but uncolored and filled with shimmery detail. I recently hooked in a Sony SCD-C333ES SACD player, played Wynton Marsalis's Standard Time SACD and his unmuted horn sounded like it was going to reach through the ceiling. The notes just seemed to hang there forever. The transparency, sound stage and immediacy made this the closest I have ever heard to a live performance in my home. The amp just seems to wrap itself around instruments and vocalists and deliver them with a breathy air. This amp brought so much presence and emotion to my music that I've sat for hours just listening to it. It made my Nakamichi 250 wpc PA-7 sound sterile and harsh in comparison. Recently listening to an expensive reference system in an audio store, consisting of an SACD player, B&W separates, Sonus Faber speakers and high end power conditioning and cabling was the most telling. My wife summed it up, pointing out that the sound was veiled in comparison. It was like we were listening to a very nice stereo system rather than experiencing the music. For me, that said it all. In twenty five years this is the most inexpensive and most satisfying amp I've ever owned. It is a great entry into tube equipment.

Submitted by Jerry Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to chime in with my 2-cents on this great little amp. Actually I wasn't looking to get into tube amps and had been very happy with my Hafler set-up for over 10 years. When my Hafler went down due to a power line surge, I started looking around. I came across Sound Valves when looking for a place to send my Hafler for repairs. I was interested and for the price, I couldn't see a down side to trying something new. I am glad I made the switch. It's tough to describe what tubes can do to a system. To simply say it " opened up " my music is an understatement. Initially when I got the amp out of the box and hooked it up, I only noticed a slight difference from my Hafler. But after several hours of continuous play....my system just came alive. I am hearing sounds and notes and detail in music I've listen to for years. It's almost like going to the opera and listening with ear muffs on and then taking them off. That's what I felt this tube amp did for my system. Slowly I am making to switch to all tube gear...and loving every minute of it. If you really want to " hear " your music....get into tube. And for the price, you can't beat this little amp. I recommend it to any and all who are interested.

Submitted by J. Watson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Actually this is another follow up to a review written below. I've had some e-mails asking me what I did pay $550.00 for since I misquoted my " price paid " price in a prior review. I stated I had purchased a VTA-70i tube amp for $550.00 when actually it was the Sound Valves VTP-101i preamp which I was able to get for $550.00. They sell for around $800.00 new directly from Sound Valves for just the basic unit. I bought the preamp to pair with my Sound Valves VTA-70i and they pair nicely. I can't recommend these units enough to those interested in getting into tube gear. Please go over to the preamp section for my review of the VTP-101i preamp. Sorry for the confunsion.

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
bought 2 kits @ 650 each a little over a year ago. gold front plate was being discontinued. haven't built a kit since 1974 but these went together relatively easily. when my counterpoint went south, i decided to go tubes and took advantage of the special to bi-amp my bw 640's. the speakers really opened up with the tubes. nice sound, reasonably good fit and finish - the gold is ok but i like the black better, but i did like saving 250 per amp. i'd buy again.

Purchased At:   soundvalves

Submitted by Frank D'Angelo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Was getting into tube but didn't want to spend a lot to do so. Heard about the Sound Valves from friends and Internet " buzz ". Happened to find one for sale via the Internet at my local tube audio store. I was immediately interested but somewhat apprehensive because of the price. My understanding has been that with tube audio, you've got to spend multiple thousands of dollars to get a great sound. I guess not. The immediate impact of this amp to my system was nothing short of amazing. Once the unit broke in, the sound just opened up and filled my sound room. I'm not in the know to provide technical data but if you are looking for a great amp, the VTA-70 series simply can't be beat. Great looking, great sounding, and fun to watch.

Purchased At:   The Audio Journey