Sony TA-N90ES Amplifiers

4.64/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $2700.00

Stereo Power Amplifier - 110 Watts

Submitted by frahengeo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Sony TA-N90ES Stereo Amp featuring MOSFET electronics. Unlike what the previous reviewer wrote, this Amp is truly balanced. It is the previous model (TA-N80ES) that is not balanced. At 100 W/ch, it does a really nice job driving my Def Tech speakers. I purchased mine second hand along with the TA-E90ES pre-amp for a fraction of the MSRP (N90: $2,700, E90: $2,000)
It is built like a tank with interesting optimization/improvements that are thoughtout. The feet are intentionally attached off center, which supposedly reduces vibrations, the screw on the back and bottom plate are all copper plated, and it has extremely beefy binding post (my personal favorite). The heat sinks do a really nice job dissipating the heat, since it run fairly cool even after hours of use. The cosmetics are nice and simple.

Submitted by muziekfreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
I own two TA-N55es stereo amps (bridgeable) one TA-N80es stereo amp (bridgable also) and off course seen the title of this review the one and only TA-N90es the champion of the very wel known ES line from sony. However the may punish me with a TA-N1 also :-]]]

Well the 90es what can i say seen it's brothers. This is one of the few TA-N model (in the ES line that is) That isn't bridgeable. It has XLR inputs and cinch.

Now about those XLR (balanced inputs) trust me ladys and gent those are fake. The plug are only there for sony it's own benefit during testing and tuning the amp. Not even ONE TA-N is build balanced as it should be. Is this a bad thing HELL no!

Balanced is only usefull iff you would use about 20mtr off cable. Were does it come from yes indeed the PA world onstage. There you have KM of cable to use..thats it.

Well offcourse we popped the hood of this little baby to see how it is build. And there whas the big suprise. The little (BIG brother) the 80es was build very different!! most tans are not build like a accuphase !

The tan90es is truly a miracle two giant caps (size of a coca cola can or so) in the middle a very nice fist full tordial ringcore. And nice for a change seen the fact many sony poweramp getting very hot. The tan80es for instance is marked for life because of there meltdown failure some times. The tan90 had two giant heatsinks one on the left and one on the right!! VERY NICE! great parts to elna caps iff i'm not mistaken.

The sound is very good to! On my floating synthese it sounds like a angel peeing in my ears. Really nice great controle on the low regions a little weakness lack of power (100w per channel @8ohm) It's really a great amp i can easy compete with the high end brands. After all the wheel is not re-invented on that area you pay voor a brand thats it.

Just enjoy it sony really can make topproducts the TA-NxxES series are just great amps.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by thefonz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
I came over a TA 90ES pre/power combination by an ad in the daily newspaper. The guy who sold them had won them in the audio store he worked in and had them hooked up to the worst kind of budget mini-system speakers. Such a waste!

At least I try to do them some justice with the Von Schweikert VR-1000 speakers I use now. If I had the money, I'd buy a pair of VR-4 or VR-8 and I'm sure the Sony's wouldn't disgrace them..

The TA-N90ES and TA-E90ES combo sound just great and you get a "live" feeling with every kind of music you play. Never boring, never without nerve.

Purchased At:   private seller

Submitted by Glenn D a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased this to replace another high-end Sony unit, the TA-F808ES integrated amp (great piece - is for sale). I moved and now have a dedicated listening room so decided to go back to separates (now can play more - you know, buy and sell more and drive my wife nuts) in that eternal audiophile search for listening nirvana (ain't gonna happen). Anyway, the one thing that the Sony integrated taught me when I downsized for our last new house (condo at the shore) was that if one is going to listen to solid-state that MOSFET is the only way to go. I truly liked my Bryston and McIntosh amps, but the sound of MOSFET gear is truly superior, to my ears. All the good things about tubes and S-S gear seem to be wrapped together with MOSFETs. And the Sony TA-N90ES has it in spades. Wonderful, powerful, smooth, musical, lyrical sound. I listened to both a set of Soliloquy's great monitors (the 5.0S) and now my new Audio Physic Tempo IIIi speakers and I can state that this amp "controls" them extremely well. Powerful, tight bass. Wonderful mids, especially with female vocals, and smooth as butter highs. I auditioned the Tempo's with a BAT VK-200 and VK-3i premap. The VK-200 is similar in that it is a 100 wpc MOSFET amp. I thought I would buy this pre and amp, as well. But decided to listen until the new speakers were broken in on the integrated. Especially as I got before we moved. Once the speakers were broken in and we moved, I started looking for a VK-200 and put the TA-F808ES up for sale. In doing so, I noticed the TA-N90ES for sale and started doing some research. Very similar to the VK-200, with just a bit more power. So for less than 1/3 the cost, I went for it. And also bought a Threshold FET 9 preamp. So am running SE'd and couldn't be happier (until I get a balanced preamp w/remoe and separate phono stage). The TA-N90ES is just great. It sounds as good as the VK-200 and has the noted -ES line build quality. Can't wait to listen to it in balanced operation.

Purchased At:   Audiogon Auction

Submitted by umberto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
hello
can some body tell me what the price off a sony Ta-n90es with a sony Ta-e90es now's and is't good quality.
i want to buy one only the price is high.
greetings umberto