Sony TA-N9000ES Amplifiers

4.66/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

115W x5 Channels or 200W x2 - Parallel Push-Pull Output

Submitted by ChrisUtah a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have owned many different Amplifiers in my dedicated Theater room such as Emotiva, Sherbourn, Sherwood, Marantz. I would Characterize myself as the Audiophile that tries to find the best bang for my buck since I have many other hobbies. First off I found this amplifier in my local classified listings and paid $150 for it. I bought it merely out of curiosity since it had the "ES" designation which I heard meant it was the higher end of Sony's audio line. I quickly brought it home and disconnected my amplifier and connected the Sony. My first song that I fired up was David Helping's "Sticks and Stones in lossless format, all I could say is wow!!!! All the other Amplifiers I had owned had their own strengths whether it be great control, space, speed, etc..... What the Sony exuded is amazing space with warmth in the highs and mids, the separation was very impressive. The thing that got me the most was that the bottom end of my speakers seemed to go quite a bit lower and with amazing authority. I was hooked, my only fear is that with an Amplifier this old is that the first time I turn it up it will blow out. Well happy to report this has not happened, I listen to my music quite a bit louder than most.

One other thing about the sound, it is very organic sounding. If you like a more clinical or sterile sound which many do than this amplifier might not be for you. The sound could be described more "tube like". My associated gear is Marantz sr7008, Anticable speaker cables( highly highly recommended) Paradigm studio 100 v5.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at longdrive @ gmail.com

Submitted by TICKTACK55 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Bottom Line:
I found this at a audio shop in Osaka with only 630 bucks.
It is such a old product but this powerful 5 channel power amp can give sufficient power to my Infinity Kappa 80 which has four 9" woofers.Love clean and crispy sound both low end and high end. I cannot complain on this. I hope this will last long.

Submitted by 1bad70nova a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp for a short while now and I absolutely LOVE IT! It is rich and warm sounding with clear highs and strong bass and midrange. I wanted to move to seperates, but that stuff can get expensive. Plus, I wanted something that could match or come close to matching my other Sony equipment. I have a Sony STR-DA333ES receiver and it does a great job of sound reproduction, but this amp moved everything up a couple of notches! It over powers my Boston speakers, but that's only when I start to get on it hard and the source material has a LOT of bass in it.

My system consists of:
Boston Acoustics PV-1000 Subwoofer

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by CRB a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this TA-N9000ES/N ( last N is gold color ) along with the matching preamp in April of 1998. The pair was $2100. I have used it connected to Infinity Overtures, Infinity Compositions Preludes and Infinity Prelude MTS and it sounds good in all instances. These speakers all have powered woofer/subwoofer elements so this amp has never fallen short of my power needs. It runs very cool, even under heavy loads. It isn't a monster amp that can double down into a four ohm load or anything like that. It has a current limiting switch for 4 ohm loads. It has a five-year parts and labor warranty that I never had to use. Which is the best kind of warranty, in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Sound Distributors

Submitted by Migel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Purchased this amp specifically to use the BTL 2-channel for my Paradigm 100 mains. My Sony DA-7es does the rest. This is an excellent amp. Power is adequate and sound is cleaner than the 7es.

Purchased At:   online