Sony TA-N220 Amplifiers

2.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

45 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by mardfelt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp for its flexibility and for the price. They year was 1991? and most people had not heard about Dolby Pro Logic. I used it as power amp in my first home theater together with an SSI decoder. The soundquality was more than up for my needs back then, given that it is a Sony ES product (without the ES-logo).

When used with my NAD preamp and NHT speakers I really can evaluate the sound.
In four channel mode the sound is dull and not involving. You really have to pull up the volume to get the dynamics. My NHT easily gets the best out of the amp.

In two channel (BTL/Bridged) mode this amp really improves and sounds much more detailed and really nice. Better than most £300-400 amps and much better than any reciver of reasonable money. I have spent much of my earlier "hifi-years" long nights listening to unplugged music, female vocal on this amp. It has got potential to be a great amp, but often fails to give you that extra thrill. It do not draw you into the music...

This is a great amp for party sound. It is a great amp for medium quality surrond.

This is an amp that would make most "reciver listeners" happy. If you are looking for a true involving sound, look elswere. Today the amp is used with my PC or as a party amp.

This amp is well worth the money if you can find use for its 2,3 or 4 channels. Do not hope for high-end but it is much better than any sub $500-700 recivers I´ve heard.

Purchased At:   HyperFi, Barking, UK

Submitted by cemal_gurel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp is good because of being 4 channel based one and also being too silent. If you have a good pre-amplifier like TA-E1000ESD, it's a great deal. You can run your surrounds with it. It is not called as an ES product on the unit, but at Sony Amplifier site they ranked it as an ES model. I wonder why? So what do we call to this unit, an ES or not?

I actually made a modification in it by replacing it's 4 piece 50Volt 6800uF 85 degree capable capasitors with 8 piece 50Volt 4700uF 105 degree capable Rubycon capasitors. (I paralellized every 2 piece) Now it sounds greater. I am using it more than 2 years like that and no problem occured yet. Maybe Sony didn't pushed really hard this amplifier? Other revievers complain about being this one quite normal, not professional. But now it is professional and super. It booms wery well, good treble and no extra distorsion from amplifier unit.

Purchased At:   Kyrenia/N.Cyprus

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't complain about this unit, but I have not really pushed it hard. I bought it to run my center and rear surround speakers, which do not require much in the way of power. It has performed well, with decent sound, and has been very reliable for me. I use an Adcom 535 for my fronts, and have never really swapped the amps for a sound comparison. 10 years, and still going strong. Who can complain about that?

Purchased At:   Audio Buys (Now Myer Emco)

Submitted by S. Brewster a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Read above

Purchased At:   buy.com

Submitted by Steve Gray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very unimpressive amplifier in all ways. Sorry I got it.

Atlantic Technology :