Simaudio Celeste 4070se
MSRP  1999.00

Submitted by Al Sonac a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Jeff S. I would have to say you are quite the BS'er. The SimAudio Plant is not 5 hours away from Toronto, It's almost 7 hours. The plant is in St.Hubert Quebec. A city located almost 40 minutes south of Montreal. And it takes one day to courier the stuff. I hope you packed it properly. This review is only supposed to be about the amp not the pre-amp. And I have other esoteric equipment that for example change setup when I use the remote from other equipment on ocasision. This is nothing new. Either you abuse your equipment or it was not properly protected from surges or spikes or even lightening because you are the first person I have ever encountered that had such a problem and I know the owner of the Company, the sales reps and even store owners that carried or still carry the line....Never heard such a thing.

Five stars! Improves like fine wine after a good break-in period!

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by Toby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I can't say I dislike anything about this amp--I was just lucky to find a well-cared-for one second-hand. Compared with other amplifiers I have used it throws up a gorgeous big soundstage, mostly back of the speakers. It's not an " in-your-face " amp.

Bass is all there and well-controlled, mids are sweet, highs extended and clear with perhaps a slight tendency to sibilance--on some discs.

Used with a good turntable ( I have a Linn LP12 ) it has the ability to transmit real feeling in the music. Since my CD player is not as good as my TT, I can't say it can do the same with CDs--but why not ? It's an amp that can do justice to very good associated equipment. Very little else compares at the price.

SimAudio have discontinued it, so second-hand is the only way to get one now.

Purchased At:   previous owner

Submitted by ROB a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
REALLY OUTSTANDING BUILD QUALITY. USED AS MONOBLOCKS THEY NEVER RUN OUT OF POWER AND GRUNT. THESE THINGS CAN BLOW OUT WALLS. INTERESTINGLY, THEY ARE VERY WARM, ALMOST TUBELIKE, YET THEY PASS EXQUISITE DETAIL AND TIMBRE. VERY, VERY GOOD AMPS ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE PRICE.

I HAVE COMPARED THEM TO MANY OTHER SOLID STATE AMPS AND NO OTHER AMPS I HAVE HEARD POSSESS THEIR SWEETNESS/DETAIL COMBO. YES, OTHER AMPS MAY SOUNDSTAGE SOMEWHAT BETTER OR PACK A SLIGHTLY DENSER TONALITY, BUT, OVERALL, THESE AMPS ARE REALLY OUTSTANDING AND ASTONISHINGLY GOOD VALUE.

THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE STEREOPHILE CLASS "B" AND ULTRA HIGH FIDELITY BOUGHT THEIR REVIEW SAMPLE. ENOUGH SAID.

Submitted by Jeff S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great sounding amp, if it works. Bought one a year ago along with a pre-amp(4070se & p5003). Both have broken down and been back for service in one year. My expierence with Sim Audio's service has been a joke! I live 5 hours away from the plant and was promised both units back within ten days. I received them back a month later and am still having problems with them. I have been trying to resolve these problems for a month since receiving them with no luck. A friend owns a 4002 and was thinking of upgrading until witnessing the problems I've been having. The amp blew up. Where as once it was amazing now it sounds loud and bright. The warmth is gone. The pre-amp switches inputs on me when using the volume controls on the remote. Beware!
It might sound great, but if it breaks down and you can't get it fixed properly, whats the point.

Submitted by Art a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
Great amp,speed,power,detail,lets the music flow.For the price its a 5/5.I use this baby for sourround duty with my Dynaudio Contour 1.1.For mains I use the Celeste Moon W5 driving the Contour 3.3 and for center another W4070SE in mono on the Contour Center.The Sunfire Mark2 is cut at 35Hz,soon I will add the Sunfie Signature...ah just perfect.This setup kills most high priced systems. Sothe Celeste W4070SE and the rest of the Celeste line is worth 5/5.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile