Rogue Audio Stereo 90 Amplifiers

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Stereo 90
General Features:
  • Ultra-wide bandwidth output transformers
  • Massive fully regulated high voltage supply
  • Matched quad output tubes
  • Heavy-duty gold plated RCA inputs
  • Heavy-duty gold plated binding posts
  • User selectable 4 and 8 ohm output taps
  • User selectable triode or ultralinear output
  • (4) KT88/6550, (2) 6SN7, (2) 12AX7 tube complement
  • Built in bias meter
  • Integral tube cage
  • Machined aluminum faceplate
  • Mechanically isolated transformers
  • Heavy (2 ounce) copper circuit board
  • All precision components
  • Fully tested, burned in, and auditioned
  • 3 year limited warranty (6 months on tubes) Specifications: [back to top]
  • power requirements: 115/230V - 50 - 60Hz

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Roger a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2014

Bottom Line:
    Recent owner of second or third hand non Magnum version Not sure about year of manufacture. I bought this as well as the 99 Magnum based on reviews and my own experience with Rogue Audios product and Costumer Service . I already know fairly well what the 99 contributes as I've owned one for several years and use it in conjunction with Rogue monoblocks (120s upgraded 180s). Associated gear are a Macbook pro, M2tech Young (DAC), 99pre and on the opposite end of the speaker cables it's driving Focal Chorus 807VW
    When I received the amp I biased it and listened for a few days thinking It sounds pretty good and If I wasn't so spoiled I might have thought great. After that I took out the sovtek KT88s and replace them with older EH 6550 That Gave it A bit more Life and more richness to the mids . I further improved on a good thing by replacing some vintage Hytron 6SN7 with Current Spvanes CV181(Also recommend the Sylvainia 6sn7gta) and some mullard replicas 12ax7 (GT12AX7-M). But the magic came after I replaced the KT88s with Psvane Grade A TII and added A BPT BP1 power conditioner. The stage developed its depth with more separation and detail. Bottom line If your in it for convenience of plug and play buy some nice midfi and enjoy it . If your interested in a piece of the puzzle to musical bliss look at the rogue amps. The 90 is a great amp with a bit more finesse (bottom end management) then the Atlas ( Also Nice ) and can be had at a reasonable price . If you have access to a good high end shop see about auditioning some amps you will find the Rogues are a fine blend of tube richnes and space while coming very close to a good SS amp in speed. So Would I buy another one for $1200 . If I didn't already have two great sounding systems I would jump on it. Other Amps I've owned include Onkyo M504 Dynaco ST70s Quick Silver KT88 and the previously mentioned monoblocks. Going fo the supermag upgrade eventually but realy think these are fine as is.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by marichelney a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
    I'm absolutely delighted with my Rogue Audio Stereo 90, which I bought along with a Rogue Audio Athena preamp. I listen to classical music exclusively and decades of concert going have allowed me to know what music is supposed to sound like. Musicality is what I want from my gear and that is what the people at Rogue have given me. I've owned much fine, highly regarded equipment over the years since I bought my first receiver, a Fisher 500, in1964. I've never been more pleased than I am now. By the way, the support Rogue offers is excellent. I had a hum coming from my speakers, telephoned Mark O'Brien at Rogue who said there was a ground loop and then and there talked me through to a solution. My dealing with Mark was especially refreshing because I bought the Stereo 90 with a store credit my audio dealer was nice enough give me in lieu of the run around I recieved from the makers of a defective, considerably more expensive amp I bought months before the Stereo 90. Perhaps the best endorsement I can give Rogue, is my having, just yesterday, a Rogue Audio Tempest ll integrated amp.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by patriot1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
    This is good sounding amp but I found mine to be noisy,an annoying hum from across the room.I called Rogue Audio and talked to Mark OBrien about it.He said ,ship to us and we'll fix it for you.I did that.After a few days I called him and he said,its all fixed.We replaced some resisters in the power supply and in the tube biasing to the meter.He also said that two of my input tubes (6sn7 I think)were noisy an that he would give me a great deal on some NOS coin bottom tubes.We usually get $50 each for them but seeing how they are already in the amp,.$25 each.I OK'd,got the amp back and it was humming like it never left the house.I called Mark OBrien and and told him.He said OK,I'll have another look at it.I said,I think you should pick up the shipping both ways.He told me he'll have another look at it but as far as picking up the shipping costs,he wasnt going to do that.I treid to use a few analogies of why he should but he really did'nt seem to care.I also said the new tubes he sold me made no difference in the humming compared to the ones I had originally.So he said ship them back and I'll credit your card for the tubes.He them said to me I've talked to long enough and hung up the phone on me. I later found when lifting up the cicuit board to replace the tube sockets (another story), that the resisters that he replaced,he soldered in WITH OUT lifting the circuit board.He did it from above .The soldering joints were awful to say the least.My total expenses to buy a new shipping box and have it shipped to my house.Ship and insure the Stereo 90 to Rogue,pay them and ship it back to me and ship the new tubes I DID NOT need was about $300..Lets not forget the time spent packing it,going to the shipper,time on the phone and the insult.Anybody got any bridges for sale?

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by rfthon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
    After some time listen to a solid state amplifier (NVA) I wanted to switch to a tube or class A solid state amp with enough power to use with most speakers.
    I ended up with the Rogue stereo 90.It has enough power to have grip on most loudspeakers and for the refind you can switch to triode.The mid and high frequencies remind me to the Audio Innovation First triode amp I have owned a couple of years ago.Very open ,liquid,transparant and easy on the ear.
    The bass is much better then from the AI First but not in the same leaque as some power solid state amp's.Now I am changing tubes just to change the sound to my own taste.
    For example I use instead of the 6550EH tubes , KT88 from JJ.
    KT 88 (from JJ)has a more 3D sound.I like it also more because it sounds more "crystal clear".Tube rolling can be very usefull to get most out from the Roque stereo 90.
    The Rogue stereo 90 delivers special in triode mode a 3D sound.Stage width and depth are very good.There is not the speed of some solid state designs but the musicality of the Rogue is of a high standard.Acoustic instruments shine through the Rogue effortless with a beautiful harmonic structure.

Purchased At:   Factory