Reference Line Model One Silver Signature Amplifiers

100 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Prior to recently getting this amp I was using a Citation 7.1 amp. Check out the many perfect 100% 5 star ratings for the Citation 7.1 on this site then consider that this Reference Line amp totally puts the Citation 7.1 amp to shame. This is an order of magnitude better than the Citation amp. I still have one of the Citation 7.1 amps so believe me I am not trashing that amp in this review.

Everything in the other review here is correct.

I have found that on every well recorded CD that I have listened to with this it is like hearing the CD for the first time with all of the extra music this amp presents that was not audible before. In a word ... stunning. However, now I can notice poorly recorded CD's in my collection that I never knew I had since the resolution of my prior amps are not the equal to this amp.

Used this with a Luxman TP-117 (circa early 90's) preamp and sounded quite nice. Have also used it with the Reference Line Preeminence Two passive preamp and that likewise sounds very good with it. Both the Reference Line Amp and preamp were rated class A in stereophile magazine in the past but dropped after they thought these were no longer in production.

I am using demanding inefficient Planar Hybrid speakers and this drives them to perfection (Citation also had plenty of power for them).

I have a review of this amp in the July 1997 Stereophile magazine and they considered this amp a relative bargain at the $8000 list. I would not know about that since I have not heard another $8,000 amp but if you can find one and you have the funds, at it's used price I don't think anything can touch it. Guess that is the beauty of buying little known manufacturer products used. I will never let this amp go.

One more thing ... it has been reported that this amp is no longer produced. WRONG. The company was bought by another small company who repairs, upgrades, and sells new primarily overseas and the proprietor is very friendly and helpful and provides excellent quick service.

Purchased At:   Private Party

Submitted by Keith L. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Lives up to its former Stereophile "Class A" rating, unlike some other amps I've tried. Awesome transparency, delicacy, and depth. Not harsh at all, but still extremely detailed - it simply sounds "real". Perfect match w/ the Reference Line passive attenuator - produces unbelievable transparency. I've been into some very high end shops, and the vast majority of the time, I am unimpressed. To keep good relations, I never tell them that their "super" systems don't sound anywhere near as good as mine.

Definitely worth it if you have a high resolution system and can find one & its passive "preamp" match. Designer focused everything on performance - unplated copper binding posts, Kimber silver wire throughout, completely dual mono w/ 2 power cords, etc.

4 stars for value b/c its list price is $8000. 5 stars for sound/build.

PANAMAX: