Quad 306 Amplifiers

4.71/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $795.00

50 Watt Class A Current Dumping Power Amplifier

Submitted by i4ever a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
What can I say ive had this amp for nearly 5 years, and its fantastic, I bought it for £60, on the basis of its name, not ever hearing any quad products. (What a bargain) this little amp sings. Althought its only when you change the ageing capacitors and so forth, do you actually hear the fullness of the sound, mainly in the bass region, were it can sound, warm and sluggish. D.I.Y hi-fi 'do a more then decent, upgrade path. I heard alot in my time, but the spaciousness of this amp is spectacular (once upgraded or serviced) Proper.

Submitted by NickT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is my first "decent" amp, after a variety of home theatre and entry level amps. The leap in quality is, quite frankly, astonishing. It's like having cotton wool removed from your ears.
My 306 is being fed by a Harman Kardon cd7500 & Citation 21 pre-amp, and runs into a pair of Ruark Talisman 2's. As has been mentioned before, female vocals and acoustic instruments sound particularly good; as do classical works, especially choral. It also performs excellently with some of my more off-the-wall prog-rock, psychedelia and electronic music.
The 306 simply sits there and makes everything as loud as you want, without apparently adding or subtracting anything. All-in-all a wonderful little amp that is heartily recommended.

In fact for what I paid (£150) I'll probably buy another one and bi-amp the Talismans.

Submitted by gilbodavid a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
i have been using this amp for 7 years, and it took me a while to realise how good it is! firstly i suggest anyone using the quad 34 preamp with it to stop doing so, as the preamp is much inferior. a good passive stepped attenuator is ideal instead. also i spent £120 each on phono cables, the same on speaker cable, and £50 each on good mains leads. My neutonia optia cd plater cost £1,500 and for speakers i use quad esl57's and 63's, two of the best speakers ever made at any price. (i prefer the 57's incedently, making them an outrageous bargain secondhand). the quad 306 does not disgrace itself in this company, and has been bettered by my wonderful leak stereo 20 valve amplifier, though it stands up surprisingly well in comparison! happy money spending

Submitted by jamesr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was eyeing RA02 to partner with my RCD02 when I saw this amps.For $125 for a class A amp, I though its worth a try...I was surpise when I connected it to the pre out of my RXV800 receiver, it totally gives new life on my system. I'm more on HT and its my first venture into audio separate...after a day of testing and listening, I returned back to the shop where I purchased it and took 2 more of this baby to use for my rear and center ch. It totally change both my audio and HT listening.It gives me more flexibility and power.

Purchased At:   Jeddah Saudi Arabia

Submitted by biggarthomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Can you spell SOUNDSTAGE. I have traded up from bi-amping two Quad 303s to bi amping two 306s. What an amazing experience. Why spend thousands on glitzy new stuff that changes the way that music wa intended o be heard by the artist. Even my partner can tell the difference. She says that the music is all over the ground floor now whereas in the past it ws located where th speakers were in the living room and in the back kitchen nook.

Quad 306 Power Amp and Quad 34 Control Unit

I was wondering if there was any way of running a subwoofer from my power amp as i third audio line. The power amp only has two outputs (left and right). I wondered if i could hook a subwoofer into the system to get a bit more bass. I no the amp is capable of this as it s a Class A current dumpin ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: