PS Audio PS-200CX Amplifiers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1950.00

20 Watt Class AB Power Amplifier (1985-1988)

Submitted by qwikdo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
My friend recommended this amp to me and I was finally able to get one on ebay. I have gone through many amps including parasound, adcom, van alstine, and acurus. I never felt a need to post a review for these amps, but for the PS audio I felt the need to post a review. The sound from this amp is better than any other amp I have had in my system and paying only $500 was a steal. The detail this amp brings to the highs and mids are awesome. The bass response and control is pheonomenal when compared to the other amps I have had in my system. You won't get a hint of listeners fatigue with this amp at any volume. My Mirage M3Si have never sounded better. I own a CD store and all types of music play well on this amp from techno to jazz and classical. I think once I upgrade my preamp the system will sound even better. I plan on purchasing another one to power my centers for a first class home theatre. I would recommend buying this amp to anyone you won't be disappointed. The only bad thing about this amp is a hissing and poping sound through the speakers when the amp is turned off. I think I can live with that as long as it doesn't hurt my speakers.

Submitted by Lou3rd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous post. This amp runs dual mono from the bridge rectifiers forward, meaning they have 2 bridge rectifiers. Standard bridge rectifiers ring, they are not quite, and this imposes noise upon the B+ rails, and ultimately it effects the music. Both bridge rectifiers should be replaced with ones made using Fred diodes. It makes these amps arguably the best SS amps I have heard. I cannot say this in absolute terms because I have not heard all the other amps in my system, but if it is not as good, it is VERY close to the best.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by cmjohnson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's not often that I own a piece of equipment that I later am persuaded to sell when I really don't want to,
and less often that I actually buy another of them, but this is such a product!

OK, both amps are 200C's not CX's, but close enough...

One I bought from its original owner, and the other (the one I have now) I bought off of ebay, and this
particular one happens to be the exact one reviewed by Harry Pearson for The Absolute Sound magazine
some years ago! A little piece of history!

I paid 300 bucks for the first one, and 450 for the second

Purchased At:   two separate deals a

Submitted by Lou a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
The one fault this amp has, is a slight tendency toward being a bit dark. It's not so pronounced that it is a real issue, but you would not want to mate it to other dark gear. Other than that, it holds it's own VERY well against the amps above I have owned, and many others I have heard. It's not a Mark Levinson, but it is the poor man's version, IMO.

It's not a tube amp, so if that's what you want, that's what you should consider buying. For what it is, it is top knotch.

As for repair problems, the older 200C mdls initially shipped with a real problem, they liked to cook speakers, but they had good taste, they liked Apogees best of all! That problem was quickly fixed and the 200CX never suffered from any such issues.

I have heard from some using silver interconnects that they think the amp is bright, silver cables are generally bright and are generally used to compensate for very dark amps, or tube amps which roll off the highs. This is NOT a bright amp.

While currently I am using a Moscode 600, I have no intention of selling any of my 200CX's in the near future, I do swap amps from time to time because both have their own strengths.

Associate Equipment:

Acoustat Spectra 3300 speakers
Perraux SM-2 or Minuet in A or Superphon DM preamp
Sota Sapphire turntable with an AQ 6PT arm, and Denon 103 cart.
Sony ES CDP 707ES CD Player from the 80's buy I have not heard one that was worth buying since.

Purchased At:   Internet, private purchase

Submitted by Jeff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great amp for the $$$. Ive paid a lot more for worse. Parasound 2200 for example. Huge detailed focused soundstage. Well controlled precise bass. Can be a little unrelenting with digital front end as it is dry sterile from upper midrange on up. But nonetheless captivating in its ability just present the music and not color it. Maybe just dry it up a bit, but this is typical of solid state at this price range. Some turn on pop and hum usually noticable on every one of these Ive heard. Reliability is a ??? according to some.

SFLAT: