Pioneer 400X Amplifiers

4.7/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Bottom Line:
Had one of A400 for 3 years in early 2000s. It is a good amp, but that's it. It is not in the same league as something really gem like Audiolab 8000A or Arcam Delta290 Alpha9, not even a Marantz PM80.
It's just a good amp for what it worth.
Considering the age, be prepared to do some service job.

Submitted by tone911 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Blown away by the A400X, when I read varing reviews comparing the A400 the chance to own a 400X came along and I grabbed it. The 400X when connected up to the right equipement can give you what your looking for depending on the type of music you like. I use my amp with a Marantz CD 67SE and Mission 731 Pro's, now not being the top of the line, music from them to me sounds impressive although it could do really well with a speaker upgrade or a good sub. You can biwire your speakers through th 400X as etxra speaker connection are available on this amp. This amp has very good imagery, clarity and I feel the sound becomes more fuller and richer when the amp is given a reasonable time to warm up, I think its a excellent amp in its class, its started me off with more appreciation for music reproduction and have no intentions of parting with it in the near future.

Submitted by DavidR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
I just had to write a review of my golden favourie amplifier the PIONERR A400 GTE (Tom Evans upgrade, made a significant improvement in all areas to the sound).

It really is a giant killer, those reviews are true! and the Tom Evans upgrade makes it even better - significantly so.

I have tried and compared this amp against other award amplifiers costing many times the price (including valves!) and this is a champion, its the one I have come back to and it is staying!

It is just so musical, foot tapping engaging and emotional to listen to. I will never change it.

But beware, feed it a poor signal, or a bright sound that you get from some cd players - including expensive ones from leading brands and it will sound bright. Feed it quality and that is what you get - real quality with whistles.

This is a Real Music maker with Emotion when fed a quality source. Back to the foot tapping for me!

Submitted by esec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
These comments relate to the A400 model only. I am into hi-fi for more than 2 decades but with the same setups I own. Recently I got the itch to try something out for fun of it. I saw the Pioneer amps being sold in a local buy/sell forum & bought one for S$130. This is because it was relatively ‘dirt cheap’ (less than many a basic interconnect) & because I have heard of its reputation so much but personally never heard it perform. The amp sounds so very good, even on first listen - so much so that I immediately went out to buy another, for future experimenting with bi-amping & as a backup. Using a single amp setup, it was a real ‘ear opener’, a revelation I should say. I now see why it created such a stir when it was first introduced & why it was then considered a giant slayer. This amp is powerful, comparable to a 100 watter, driving my speakers with ease. It is highly transparent, allowing the music to flow forth with dimples, warts and all. I can see why if poorly matched & used in the ‘wrong’ system, it will solicit criticisms of being too bright, harsh, slow etc. This is particularly so where the source components are of lesser or inferior quality. The truth is that it is highly revealing of what is fed into it; the adage ‘Garbage In, Garbage Out’ holds true here. I think it comes close to the definition of the ‘perfect’ amplifier - that of a straight wire with gain. As far as I can tell, it has no real, distinct, imposing characteristics of its own. Or at least it doesn’t add much to what it is given but merely amplify it simply & exactly. I confirm this for myself by using it with many other hi-fi components in various configurations for comparison.

Fronted with a Theta transport/dac & Aural Symphonics digital cable, the sound was glorious – very open, transparent, smooth, detailed, with good PRAT, tonality & soundstaging. It was like using a very good hi-end amplifier that costs thousands of $$$. I am a bit embarrassed to say it but to be absolutely honest, in some ways, it literally ‘walked over’ my other very expensive 2 pre/power & 1 integrated amps. However, I must confess that other than its performance, it will not enhance one’s bragging rights much in hi-fi, price & looks wise - an important consideration perhaps for many an audiophile. For me, musical enjoyment comes first & foremost so this amp is definitely here to stay, for a very long time. What a great & interesting discovery in my hi-fi quests & musical journey….

Purchased At:   Local Buy/Sell Forum

Submitted by esec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
These comments relate to the A400 model only. I am into hi-fi for more than 2 decades with the same setups & recently got the itch to try something out for fun. I saw the Pioneer amps being sold in a local buy/sell forum. I bought one for S$130 as this was relatively ‘dirt cheap’ & as I've heard of its reputation so much but personally never heard it perform. The amp was so very good, even on first listen, that I immediately went out to buy another for experimenting with bi-amping. Using a single amp setup, it was an real ‘ear opener’, a revelation I should say. I now see why it created such a stir when it was first introduced & why it was then considered a giant slayer. This amp is powerful, comparable to 100 watter, driving my speakers with ease. It is highly transparent, allowing the music to pour forth with dimples, warts and all. I can see why if poorly matched & used in the ‘wrong’ system, it solicits criticisms of being too bright, harsh, shrill, slow etc. This is particularly if the source components are of inferior quality. The truth is that it is very revealing of what is fed into it; the adage GIGO holds true here. I think it comes close to the definition of the ‘perfect’ amplifier - that of a straight wire with gain. It has no real, imposing characteristics of its own or at least it doesn’t add much to it but merely amplify exactly what is given to it. I confirm this by using it with many other hi-fi components in various configurations for comparison.

Frontedt with a Theta transport/dac with Aural Symphonics digital cable, the sound was glorious – very open, transparent, smooth, detailed, with good PRAT, tonality & soundstaging. It was like using a very good hi-end amplifier that costs thousands of $$$. I am a bit embarrassed to say it but to be absolutely honest, it ‘walked over’ my other very expensive 2 pre/pwr & 1 integrated amps. However, I must confess that other than its performance, it wil, looks & price wise, not enhance one’s bragging rights in hi-fi - if that is what one is after or is an important consideration, as is the case for many audiophiles. For me, musical enjoyment comes first & foremost so this amp is definitely here to stay, for a very long time. What a great & interesting discovery in my hi-fi journey...

Purchased At:   Local Buy/Sell Forum