Pathos Acoustics Classic One Amplifiers

4.95/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $1950.00

Tube Hybrid Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by mkools a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
i bought the new classic one MK lll (three) last month and i'm as happy as a child!
some things have changed since the mk ll; new "op-amps" for the mosfet power ampl. , new volume control(more linear) , new safer speakerconnectors with circuit to protect for shortcircuit,
but it still sounds supeb and is ever so beautifull.
the trebble IS more balenced and "sweeter"
indeed,no super hardock spiller,but my preferences go to jazz,classical AND hiphop/soul,and this amp plays them stunningly warm and full.
but for me the looks where as importend,because when i pay the ridicuasly amount of E 2000,- euro for any amp.,the least i expect is that it sounds supurb and is of stunning building quality,so if i buy one i want it to be special,with all respect;no dennon or marantz kinda looing amp(don't wanne be a snob..?!)..
i also want to buy something that will last,i will buy a hifi once in the twenty years,i'm no tweaker who is never satisfied and always broke.)

but the building quality is supurb!
did i mention the beautifull way it displays voices and instrumental voices...!!
i coupled it with a NAD c521 BEE (E 199,-)(santa could drop me a rega appolo,aaarghh,but now i'm getting greedy)
and tannoy fushion 4. only those are ready for replacement(i'm saving for sonus faber concerto,...ok,,.i'm a snob) ,and then i will have my first HIFI! system.
speakercables just for Euro 5,- p/m,DON'T believe the cable hype!! and a qued interconnect for 35 euroos,believe me it IS sufficient!...... -1950 euros for speakercables???...as Brando says;"the horror,the horrror" -

take a look at the PATHoS at a dealer,compare it to other valve or hybrid-valve amps of the same price cattegaory(>2500)and you'l see it is a one of a kind,
especialy if you are building a small system;just a cd/scad and two suburb speakers and you are in heaven .....as always LISTEN TO IT FIRST it at your dealer before pending al that evil moneything!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   amsterdam

Submitted by m.kools a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
but it still sounds supeb and is ever so beautifull.
the trebble IS more balenced and "sweeter"

but the building quality is supurb!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   amsterdam

Submitted by Lasse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
The new model 70W.
When the amplifier is warmed up for about 5 minutes you just sit there with a big smile on your face and listen, listen to every CD you got. You have to have a really good source to feed this amplifier with. Forget the price / sound quality relationship, you have to put the money on the source. I use a Marantz SACD-11S1 balanced coupled with Audioquest Panther interconnects. The balanced input is more relaxed and better on everything. I have never bought so many CD;s ever. This amplifier will probably be my last. I am a fan of classical music and together with this amp it is a fantastic combination. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   http://www.esoterisk

Submitted by demos100 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
PATHOS CLASSIC ONE (mkII version).

The finest amplifier. First of all, before buying the classic one, you must own or willing to buy a trully class A CD player. The amplifier qualities are far beyond the price and the resolution of classic one is so high that you have to own for example a Cary, Musical Fidelity A5 (best for mating, I own one) or other tube output CDs that I find the best for matching.Foget about harshness, edgy sound. Resolution is Class A. Probably better than Class A.
I would say that Pathos Classic One has all the detail of sound of an YBA Passion, with the sweetness and purity of tubes. The soundstage is not huge, starting from just behind the speakers and you could not say its overall laid-back. I think its a big, heighty , wide loudstage but cannot rival the Conrad Johnson depths or the one of an all tube higher priced amp. Its STUNNING with classical music and especially violins (very hard to reproduce) and I rate with A the reproduction - never gave A to any other amp. It ROCKS too, but not with blasting dynamics. I prefer to listen to rock with pathos than with any other.
I found the whole performance a step up with my Cardas Golden Reference Power Cord, Shunyata Research Hydra and Neutral Reference RCA interconnect listening via Proac speakers.
You will find all the detail, resolution, right amount of weight, clarity and focus you want but: You cannot press stop anymore listening to D.Krall,Mozart violin and piano sonatas,Blues,Jazz,Haydn and your lovely opera records. The presentation of the venue of the recoring is by far the best ever heard. Nothing more. The opposite of boring amplifier. Detail at extreme, purity of class A+ amps from everywhere.

Purchased At:   Europe

Submitted by alexs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to a review I wrote in March of 2004. Having the Pathos in my system has been a true joy. All subsequent reviews are spot on. I would like to add a couple of additional points. I replaced the tubes with a pair of NOS Mullards, circa 1968. The improvement was noticable immediately and even more as the tubes ran in. Turns out that the $80 was very well spent. Increased detail, extended bass and smoother with better focus within the soundstage. I also replaced the stock power cord with one from White Rose Music. This made a more subtle yet noticable improvement in the noise floor, improving the image delineation significantly.

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Audio Oddessey

SF cremona auditor + Pathos classic one

hi everybody :) . this is my first post here. I am looking for new system and my favorite speaker is Sonus faber cremona auditor. My questions are 1. I wonder SF cremona auditor can get along with Pathos classicone or not (I cannot afford Logos at this time) My budget for integrated amp is 2,000- ... Read More »

Pathos Classic One MkII is here

OK, so the Classic One arrived today. It's in beautiful condition, I can't believe it was used at all. There's not a single scratch on it, it's perfectly mint. (The seller said it had only been used a couple hours; I thought he was just talking it up, but now I believe him.) Unfortunately I h ... Read More »

Magnepan 1.6qr's + Pathos Classic One?

I'm going to be upgrading my MMG speakers to the 1.6qr's very soon -- and in another thread it was recommended that I upgrade my amp too. I'm presently using a Musical Fidelity A3.2, and I'm looking at the Pathos Classic One to replace it. Questions: Am I still going to need my subwoofer wi ... Read More »

Pathos Classic One or Cayin TA-30?

What about this amp? [IMG]http://www.pathosacoustics.com/CO1.jpg[/IMG] [url]http://www.pathosacoustics.com/newclassiceng.htm[/url] It used, at the same price as this one new: [IMG]http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/CAYIINPICS/kt88orange2.jpg[/IMG] What would be a better choice, w ... Read More »

PANAMAX: