Pass Labs X 3 Amplifiers

150 watts per channel into 8 ohms, all 3 channels driven

Submitted by babydoc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amplifier as factory-reconditioned (essentially in brand-new condition). I needed a 3-channel amplifier to go along with my 2-channel Pass X350.5. Three channel amplifiers are becoming harder to find and this is the only one that Pass makes. Its voicing is close enough the behemoth 350.5 to allow it to drive the center and surround speakers. .
Like most of the Pass X series, there is need for adequate ventilation around the amplifier. Since it is much smaller than the higher power X-series, it is easier to place in a surround system setting.
Over the time that I have integrated this amplifier into my system, I have become impressed with what great value it is for the sound quality received.
Pass does make a 5-channel amplifier (X-5). For those like myself who already have a high-quality stereo front-end, the X-3 is great alternative.

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Reno HiFI

Submitted by yetis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been on a long search for a 3 channel amplifier. I listen primarily to two channel, so it had to be on par with other quality two channel amps and I did not want mono's

Well, after owning and demoing many, I feel I found the best one. The modular design of the Theta and Bryston 9 just did not do it for me, with their more clinical sound. Having owned the Classe, I never warmed up to the amps, or its sound.
The Pass amp gives a warmth and level of detail that I had never heard out of my system. I typically don't buy into audiophile jargon but the amp really did open up the sound stage in a level I never thought possible at this level.

So, I like the amp, a lot! Now I need to find another hobby as now there is nothing to replace or upgrade!

System

Amp: Pass 3x
Speakers: Joseph 22si
Cables: Analysis Plus Oval 9's
Cd Player: Arcam
Preamp: Have been many, but with the Pass - EAD, Creek and finally a Naim AV2!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by ALH a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
X3 is basically a three channel X150. The performance is similar. I own an X150 and an X3 to drive five B&W speakers (N803, N805 & HTM1).
I love the details, the clarity and the sweetness of Pass Labs amp. My old amp was a Mark Levinson 334. Compare the ML and Pass in similar price range, I would recommend Pass any time.
X3 has only 15 watts, but the wide head room enable it to push my B&W effortlessly.

X-3 - Good, But Not Great. Why?

After watching this film for the second time (first was at the theatre), I'm trying to figure what went wrong. It worked fine as an average action/superhero flick. But I think it was more in the vein of Daredevil than Spiderman, as far as quality goes. It just looks rushed, like lots of dough was sp ... Read More »

X Men 3

I dont know how to post a review like some of the guys on here do so i will put it like this, sound was hellish loud which i really injoyed, action all the way, halle berry looked hot as always, story was fairly good, i liked it enough that i will buy the dvd when it comes out.Read More »

High End: