Pass Labs Aleph 4 Amplifiers

100 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (1998-1999)

Submitted by Jonathan Spratt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
2-stage (push only) designed pure class A gives a sound emphasising all the benefits of valve & transistor lineages without their drawbacks etc - electronic genetic engineering! Big black cube with 2 inch fins - I've had winter dinner guests huddle around it and warm their hands thinking it to be a storage heater! Needs fork-lift truck to move. No more harsh white noise electronic highs - this is the end of the power amp trail until component failure. Was reasonably priced in UK.

Associated equipment:
Sugden Masterclass CD into Kimber KS1130 balanced
Pass Aleph P pre amp into JPS balanced superconductor
Kimber BiFocal XL into ProAc Future 2's
JPS PowerAC & JPS Digital AC & Kimber PowerKords

Submitted by dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you ever needed one affordable solid state amp in your life time this would definitely be it.Surpasses all the acodlates that audio magazines wrote.Brings all the positive aspects of tube ampification mixed with the control of solidstate equipment.This baby is a keeper....

P.S combine this amp with a very reveiling speakers(preferably British) and your're in audio heaven.

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I think its great!! I love it!!! Its better thenn my ML333 and its hotter. (get it?) Did I mention they stopped making these? Yep, all Alephs are out of production. What a shame...

Submitted by stephen paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
astonishing product that completely controls the most difficult load. effortless sound with plenty of power. .nelson pass is nothing short of a brilliant designer. ideally should be matched with an aleph p.

Submitted by Gary Gendel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I always believed that once the distortion measures got small enough, one amp would sound the same as another. The Alpha 4 proved me wrong. I heard better definition and a much more effortless sound from my homebrew (time and phase aligned) speakers than I had ever thought possible. Initially I thought the high end was missing based on the extreme smoothness of the vocals. But further listening and measurements convinced me it was a more accurate reproduction. Since purchasing the Alpha 4, I've built a hybrid ESL-T/L speaker pair to replace my previous design (see http://pluto.njcc.com/~genashor/Speaker for pix). It drives the reactive ESLs without a hint of struggling. I'm still in awe listening after a few months... it's like listening to much of my vinyl for the first time. The main drawback of the Alpha 4 is the heat it dissipates. When on, it get uncomfortable to touch. I've had to keep it out of my custom cabinets for fear of it overheating. The 1 hour warmup time is usually not a problem for me, since I usually set aside a few hours when I listen seriously anyway.

Atlantic Technology: