Pass Labs Aleph 1.2 Amplifiers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $7000.00

(each) 200 Watt Power Amplifier - 2-Gain Stage

Submitted by milos resek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Only Aleph 1.2 clone, but this is it. For me the best amp.

Submitted by Albert Stock a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good, but not the best. Middletones are lightly bad.

Purchased At:   Shop

Submitted by Scott Leventhal a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Pass Labs Aleph 1.2 monoblock amplifier really is extraordinary: it makes music which is seemingly warm, alive, and breathlessly accurate without introducing any distracting artifacts. The Aleph 1.2 seems to have no bias whatsoever. I've listened to a wide variety of amplifiers (both mine and my friends') in many different systems, and the Aleph 1.2 is easily the most 'right' amp I've ever heard. Others have characterized the Aleph 1.2 as having many qualities of tube amps, insofar as its midrange is so smooth as to seem liquid. But my experience with tube amps is that their low end is often wooly or bloated -- ill defined, or tending in that direction, and that their euphonic sound (which is so often appealing on the initial take) lacks realism and becomes tiresome over time. I'm also not enamored of the 'tweak factor' required by tubes. Not so with the simple 2-gain stage solid state Aleph 1.2, which presents a gorgeous bottom end that resonates true and has the solidity of a large brick. My experience with solid state gear has been very positive, but the Pass Labs Aleph 1.2 trounced my Classe amp and a friend's big Krell without a doubt. Very highly recommended.

Submitted by Skip Khasky a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is it. This is the absolute best amp ever introduced in my system at any cost (FYI, the ML's I own cost more and are not as pure in this reviewers opinion). I can't imagine these amps being anything less than spectacular on ANY speakers, but with electrostats there are simply breathtaking. These amps do absolutely everything right, and nothing wrong. If you find a used pair, grab them! These amps will go down in history (if they havn't already) as one of the finest reference amps ever produced by anyone. I will part with mine when I am 6 feet under the ground - that says a lot from a person who is notorious for cycling equipment in and out of his system fairly frequently. If I could give them a 100 out of 5 I would in a second. If you buy a pair and arent completely floored by their performance, email me and I will buy them from you.

Purchased At:   Moondance Audio

Submitted by Terrel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I lucked out and was able to get one of last units made on the final production run. This was an upgrade from the Aleph 4, which I had owned for a year and simply loved. I did a review last year on the A4 on this same web site, and couldn't say enough good about it. All that I can say is that the 1.2's are everything that the aleph 4 is...and then some. It's like the aleph 4 on steroids. Read all of the accolades on the A4, the 1.2's are everything just the same but with more punch and dynmaic headroom. they are absolutely awesome. My amplification search is over! This is it, Truly a worthy upgrade from the incredible Aleph 4. It's just a shame that they are no longer available from Pass. If you can find one on the used market, buy it from the idiot, and then begin the enjoyment of live performance in your home.

MS 1400W: