Parasound A21
MSRP  1995.00
Description: Halo A21 Two-Channel Amplifier <LI> Continuous power output (20 Hz - 20 kHz): 250 watts RMS x 2 at 8 ohms, 400 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms, 750 watts RMS x 1 (bridged mono mode) at 8 ohms <LI> Current capacity: 60 amperes peak per channel <LI> Power bandwidth: 5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt <LI> Total harmonic distortion: < 0.2 % at full power <LI> IM distortion: < 0.04 % <LI> Slew rate: >130 V / µsecond <LI> Dynamic headroom: > 1.5 dB <LI> Interchannel crosstalk: > 80 dB at 1 kHz; > 63 dB at 20 kHz <LI> Input sensitivity: 1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level <LI> Input impedance: 33 k ohm unbalanced; 66 k ohm balanced <LI> S/N ratio: > 112 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted <LI> Damping factor: > 1100 at 20 Hz <LI> Voltage: 110V – 120V <LI> Dimensions: 17.25" wide, 7.625" high (7" without feet), 19.12" deep <LI> Net weight: 60 lbs. <LI> Manufacturer''s limited warranty: 10 years parts, 5 years labor

Submitted by Stharling a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2014

Bottom Line:
l bought the Parasound halo a21 and the differences of improvement in the sound quality are just unreal, it's like too good to be true, before the parasound i had an Emotiva XPA and after listened to the differences btw the emo and the parasound i got to the conclusion that emotiva made my speakers sounded so bad, the sound quality is night and day differences, I'm was shocked!! It's just unbelievable, to give you a better hint of what I'm talking about, the emotiva is a Honda and the Parasound is a mercedez Benz s63 AMG, or Toyota vs Ferrari lol. I can't believe the sound just can get that good.

Emotiva is not High End they not even close to what high end can sounds like, they are good products but never can consider high end, since they claim to be high end, for the price you can get a good sound, but they are out of the high end league, that's a true statement. it's not an opinion It's what it's, when i demo the parasound i put it side by side with 10,000$ and 12,000 dollars amplifiers and the emotiva just sounded as good as those super expensive amps.

The emotiva was my first amplifier so that's why i wrote a review saying that Emotiva was a truly High end Amp with a consumer price tag LOL, what the Hell i was thinking OMG i was soooooo wrong.

I was only getting 20% of my sonus faber veneres with the emotiva, now I believe I'm getting their full potential 100%, I believed the hype of the emotiva for a while, I was a believer but now i know emotiva is just a good mid-fi amp, nothing more!! If you looking for the best sound as possible please don't get the emotiva, emotiva is not even close to high end, you will be disappointed!! The parasound is the best High end AMP you can get for the money, i believe that you can spent the double of the money and won't get this kind of performance, Halo is the best Bang for your Buck and i finally found the product that i want to use forever.

to get a better understanding of what i'm talking about, let's say Parasound vs krell is like mercedez benz S Class AMG vs roll royce!!! all depends your budget and how much money you want to spent, but me personally i'm gonna stick with the parasound halo forever.

Submitted by MagnusVer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2011

Bottom Line:
The A21 has got to be one of the best kept secrets ever. I bought it second hand for less than half the original retail price. Wonderful performance driving any speaker load, and I've run it with seven different speakers thus far, both conventional and planar.

The amp is like a diesel engine, pulling an incredible amount of low-end grunt from recordings where I had formerly never known it existed. It has been a tremendous pleasure going through my old dust covered disc collection discovering some real hidden gems I'm glad I hadn't discarded.

It is definitely a beast of an amp physically, and proper space is needed if that is a concern in your application. You'd better allow for about 22" of depth if you use XLR's.

I had a McIntosh MC7200 at the same time as the A21, and after over a year of comparison I sold the Mac. The A21 just trumped it in every way. Though I did like the blue VU meters on the Mac...

One small negative is the XLR sockets do not have a locking feature. Other than that this is one of the best amps available for the money bar none. Buying one second hand is a classic no-brainer. This one is a keeper.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by cocopeep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
The parasound Halo A21 is a heavy amplifier. Great quality looks and build, handles on the back and heat fins on the side, the blue lights look good at night. 250 watts per channel, it has plenty of power to run inefficient speakers, such as my JSE infininite slope 1.8 with 4 drivers. Using Cardas quadlink speaker and interconnect, this needs a good break in period and open cabinet where the heat can escape. After many hours of playback, the soundstage opened up with instruments heard in great detail. With 1.2 kVA encapsulated toroid power transformer with independent secondary windings for each channel , and 100,000 µF power supply filter capacitance , this amp delivers superb bass, this amp will never break a sweat! This one amp will outperform my 2 B&K ST202 put together in a bi-amped setup.

Purchased At:   longplayer stereo Go

Submitted by Lee V a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Parasound A21 is an extremely heavy amp weighing in at 60 pounds. It is rated for 250 watts per channel, 8 ohms. It is capable of running in mono mode, with balanced or unbalanced connections, and gain adjustments on the back. Great build quality, large handles on the rear (may be needed when moving this) and is deep at 22 inches, requiring a large and strong shelf.
Upon using the Parasound Halo A21 during the break-in period, I noticed the soundstage grow wide and deeper. This amp needs a good amount of time to break in, and produces a good amount of heat, since it runs class A for the first 10-15 watts or so. 1.2 kVA encapsulated toroid power transformer with independent secondary windings for each channel, 100,000 µF power supply filter capacitance allows for this amp to deliver sudden bass impact when needed without any strain whatsoever. This workhorse will compete with the best amps such as Pass or others costing thousands more.

Purchased At:   longplayer stereo Go

Submitted by tlqualman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had upgraded my speakers (PBN Audio Montana SPX) after listening to them in the shop powered by a set of Halo JC1 mono blocks. I got them home and hooked them up to my McIntosh 6 ch home theater amp ( 85/watts/ch ) which is not a bad amp but they were missnig something. I can not afford nor have the room for the mono blocks so my salesman suggested I try using the Halo A21. I brought the amp home hooked it up and there was the sound that I so loved in the showroom. I finally had a set of speakers that could produce everything on a recording and an amp that allowed my speakers to perform there best. The A21 had absolute control, no matter what volume I play the system at I never hear it become harsh or strained. I feel I am getting about 95% of the performance of the JC1 for a lot less cash. I don't think I have ever got this much bang for my audio buck before. On top of the A21's great performance I think it is a beautiful piece of equipment just sitting there in the rack with it's blue glow. This amps beauty is more then skin deep.

Purchased At:   The Sound Station