Odyssey Audio Stratos HT3 Amplifiers

3 x 150 watt amplifier.

Submitted by JBaumgart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
After doing much research I purchased my HT-3 with cap upgrade in mid-June of this year. It is now fully broken in and I can write a final review.

I use this 3 channel amplifier to drive the center and front speakers which are Infinity Prelude MTS. These are very accurate speakers that were rated Class A by Stereophile a couple of years ago, and I was looking for the best possible amplification to power them. Initially I was using a Denon AVR-3805 (7 channel) receiver to drive all of my speakers, and after a couple of months I decided that the sound coming out my front speakers would be improved with an upgrade. I liked the receiver's processing immensely, and although I found its power output to be plenty adequate for movies, I thought it a little lacking for serious music listening. The fact that my speakers are rated at 4 ohms, and per the specs are capable of handling up to 500 watts, were additional factors that pushed me towards buying a more stable power supply that I thought would make movies even more dynamic but more significantly add realism and depth for serious music listening.

Well I'm here to report that I think I made the perfect choice to fit my needs, as my movies and especially my music has never sounded so good. In fact when friends and family come over and listen they are blown away at how good it sounds. I have also rediscovered my music collection, which before adding the Odyssey had largely gone unused for years - 2 channel music now sounds that much better. I continue to use the Denon to power my 4 surround speakers (and send the LFE signal to my 2 subs), so its power is not going unused. This is a very nice solution IMO if you already have a quality AVR - add the highest quality amplification possible for the front channels (which output ~90% of the sound you hear for HT) rather than live with a mediocre 5 or 7 channel amp - and pay as much or more money for it. Then send 2 channel music straight through your AVR (on my Denon I use the Pure Direct mode) and let the Odyssey bring out all of the details in the music.

As an aside, this past week I completed my system by buying a much better source for my music, a Denon DVD-3910 universal player. Compared to my previous player, this also has made a tremendous difference in what I'm hearing. As you would expect, a great-sounding source likes this makes the amplifier sound that much more musical still. I now have a very well balanced system for both music and HT, and the Odyssey plays a critical part in it. With its extremely solid build quality and a 20 year guarantee, I have no doubt that it's also the one piece that will outlive all of the other components and not become obsolete.

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio

Submitted by cutlera a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Inline with the Stereo Stratos, this amp is awesome. I don't think there's much to be said that hasn't already been posted on the Stereo thread. For the price, I don't think you can beat this amp. It (along with the Stereo) does everything I ask and more.

They are cool running and quiet. They bring out detail in music I've never heard before, and HT is a no-brainer.

I did, however, have a problem with blowing fuses, but it was my own fault. As it turns out, I had my 4 conductor speaker cable wired differently at the amp and the speaker. This also produced a nasty buzz in the whole system. It took me a while to figure this out but Klaus was kind enough to send me a bag full of fuses at no cost! Luckily, I only had to use half the bag until I thought to check my work. After that, and some time spent with Klaus on the phone, it was clear sailing....

Klaus is easy to deal with and a breeze to get on the phone.........He answers all calls to Odyssey and is extremely helpful and sincere.

These are Great Amps......

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by mkregnes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a not really a follow-up review...but a new review about the amps that replaced my HT3. I owned one of the very first production model HT3...it had problems....blowing fuses....not overly surprising with first article production....I sent it back to Klaus several times.....Klaus and his staff were unable to characterize the problems....but did Klaus give up and leave me stranded?...NO...as a working Design Engineer I understand when things just can't be sorted out....I greatly appreciate Klaus going the extra mile to ensure I was happy with his product....Klaus called and asked would I be able to handle two amps rather than one HT3....Klaus was very aware of how long it was taking to find answers and he didn't want me inconvenienced any longer than necessary...since rebuilding the HT3 would take more time and he had some other new models just out of burn-in.......he replaced the HT3 with a stereo unit and a mono unit.....very nice idea!....now the kicker.....he even made sure that the amps had the latest caps, upgraded transformers and upgraded wiring.....greatly appreciate his sense of style.....other Electronics manufacturers would do well to emulate Klaus.....I deal with less professional electronic houses on a daily basis unfortunately.
My System:
A/V Pre-Amp: McCormack MAP-1
Amp: Left/Right Front: Rogue M120 Magnum (Tube)
Amp: Center Left/Right Rear: Odyssey
Sub-Amp: Ampzilla (Old but works well...been at this awhile)
DVD Player: Toshiba 9200
CD Player & DAC: Cal Audio Labs
Tape Player: Nakamichi Dragon
Speakers: Left/Right/Center/Rear: Vandersteen 3A Signature Mains/All Others Signature Also
Subs: 2 Hsu (1220)
Pioneer Elite 720

Submitted by James Wong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
All the raves for the stereo Stratos apply equally for this three channel edition!

I was using a Denon AVR 3600 HT receiver with the amp portion of a Classe CAP 151 integrated amp for home theater. I added an Audio Research LS 16 tube stereo preamp with bypass to improve the music and the front two channels for HT. Replacing the Classe with the HT3 improved the two channel listening and the HT experience. As much as I loved my Classe, I was impressed with how much more more soundstage, resolution, and tighter my bass got. Well recorded CDs like Wynton Marsalis' box set of Village Vanguard performances sing through the HT3. The soundstage makes me feel like I'm standing in front of the stage. I close my eyes and I can "hear" Wynton moving his horn left to right and back as he's spraying notes out into the night club! That's resolution and soundstage at its best! Another favorite CD is opera singer Renee Fleming's "Beautiful Voice" CD. I don't know squat about opera but I know I'm in awe when I hear this recording and with the HT3 I hear the dynamic range of her gorgeous voice ranging from buttery soft to passionately elongated notes in a clearly defined soundstage. The HT3 puts me in the center second row!

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by Loki a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Between the HT3 & Stratos reviews it's pretty much all been said. I've been very satisfied with the build & sound quality of the HT3. Klaus has lived up to his reputation for service, providing remarkably unbiased advice, including recommending NOT buying one of his products for my specific application in favor of saving $1k+ on what would have been a marginal improvement. He also went out of his way to get my amp delivered before a holiday weekend by hand carrying it to his local airport & shipping it as cargo on Southwest Airlines, saving me money & time. Unlike many purchases, I've never had any regrets on this one & find no reason to ruin a perfect rating. Thanks Klaus.

Purchased At:   Odyssey